Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB

columbus27

I have 95% of my programming done for 2012. But I am thinking of going with the stars from Holiday Coro http://www.holidaycoro.com/By-Season-Christmas-Stars-s/1882.htm . The issue is that I have is about 32 spare LOR channels that I could use on 8 3 color stars (C9). Or I can go with DMX RGB.

What would I need to purchase if I went the DMX route? I plan on going RGB in the next few years. I just wonted to see what route people would suggest before I start purchasing and reading.

The RGB route is pretty cool, and what I'd typically recommend. But at this stage in the game I'd have a hard time recommending it for a first-timer. The C9 route will be a lot more plug & play, whereas the RGB route will be very DIY (lots of soldering, etc) and require you to learn about DMX.

Edited by Tim Fischer

This is my second year and I'm running 32 channels via normal LOR protocol and another 70 using DMX via an Enttec Dongle.

I HIGHLY recommend RGB. If you do the research, you'll find RGB lights with DMX protocol are about the cheapest route there is. The learning curve IS a bit steep at the beginning but I learned everything I need to know on this website and dyichristmas.com. If you plan on running DMX with an Enttec dongle, buy the Enttec Open and not the Enttec Pro. The Enttec Open is nearly 100 bucks cheaper than the Pro and mine has worked flawlessly so far. As far as RGB vendors are concerned, I suggest Seasonal Entertainment. I've had great success with their rainbow floods and would recommend them next year. I plan on using them next year when I switch over to RGB pixel lighting.

Finally, as far as resources, I suggest going to both Seasonal Entertainment and Holiday Coro's websites. Both sites have detailed PDFs with explanations about DMX and how DMX can be integrated in a LOR show.

• The topic was locked