Light-O-Rama Forums

Programming HolidayCoro DMX controllers

zanclus

Hello Everyone,

I just purchased some (5) of the 3 ch. dmx controllers alone with some rgb modules, from HolidayCoro I am trying to program them with their dongle, and for some reason I keep getting No controller found. I watched several videos on programing them and folled all the steps ( I think). When I just run the controllers without any imput the cycke through the default program just fine SO I know the controllers at least work . Now for the dumb questions.... When I plug the usb dongle into my laptop:

Is the power provided by the laptops usb or do I have to Add power to the controller? I am New at this and am still confused about a few things and after 4 hrs of trying to get this to work im ready to burn it. lol I would like to be able to use these this season. I am sure it is just a somple wiring thing and although there are videos on the programming they dont include the Physical Wiring aspects.. I.E what cables are needed and how to hook them to where... Thanks for any help anyone can give Zann...

you must add power to the controller. I would suggest plugging lights into the controller also so you can see it cycling. Once you see that hit program. If the lights go out for a second and then back to cycling you're good to go. Remember your LOR control panel which is in the taskbar must be shutdown and the LOR usb dongle must be unplugged.

tks for the info i got them programmed yeah!!!! now just another Q when we set up we LOR controllers we daiey chain them with cat 5 would i just run another cat5 from my last lor controller to the dmx? or do I run from my computer? well thats 2 questions lol

but by running 2 seperate Dongles does LOR sequences still run the rgbs? Sorry if I sound stupid but I am leagally blind and thought I get by sometimes things slip past....

I will have 4 seperate dongles in my show. 1 for regular controllers, 2 for CCPixels (8 total strings) and then 1 for Rainbow Pixels, which run in DMX mode. So yes, it will run the RGB pixels

Edited by Ron Boyd

• 2 weeks later...

I am running the Holiday Coro 3 ch dimmer boxes for my rgb strips via iDMX1000. Is there a way to daisy chain these, I am using 14 of them. I don't think I could run a separate line for each, that would be insane...

I am running the Holiday Coro 3 ch dimmer boxes for my rgb strips via iDMX1000. Is there a way to daisy chain these, I am using 14 of them. I don't think I could run a separate line for each, that would be insane...

use the Cat 5 splitter at each of the controllers (one in, one out to the cotroller and one out to the next controller)..

use the Cat 5 splitter at each of the controllers (one in, one out to the cotroller and one out to the next controller)..

Ok, just want to be sure since I've heard splitting DMX signal is a bad idea... This shouldn't cause DMX signal quality issues right?

Would not be an issue. check info on www.holidaycoro.com. David did a nice video on terminating DMX lines as well as daisy chaining (and injecting power). You can also check out the Multi port blender from www.seasonalentertainmentllc.com if you are going to have a number of small controllers to help prevent running out of device assignments before you run out of universe channels.

Edited by jerrymac

Ok, just want to be sure since I've heard splitting DMX signal is a bad idea... This shouldn't cause DMX signal quality issues right?

The process of using the 3 way splitters is nearly the same as what you have inside the LOR controllers. Both DMX and the LOR protocol use the RS485 system of signaling, so what you can do with your LOR controllers, you can (for the most part) do with your DMX controllers (LOR controllers are also DMX controllers for that matter.) So, splitting an RS485 (which is what the LOR and DMX protocols run 'over') is just fine. There are some limits as to the method you can use to split them but in general those are not an issue for most people.

• The topic was locked