Light-O-Rama Forums

CAT5 DMX and iDMX1000 newbie questions

Nato595

I am brand new to DMX, LOR, and all components related, so bare with me!

First question is how many RGB DMX devices can I connect, by daisy chaining, to one iDMX1000? I realize each HolidayCoro DMX controller requires 3 channels. Am i right in thinking each iDMX can have 512 channels?

My second question is do I even need the iDMX box to use my DMX devices or can i just daisy chain out of a 16 channel LOR controller box directly to the devices?

Third question is what exactly is the Enttech Open and what are the proa and cons?

My setup is 3 LOR controllers and 15 DMX RGB devices.

Thank you in advance for any help or advice.

In answer to your first question, it depends. I'm not sure about daisy chaining. If you are going to use the S3 software with twinkles and shimmers (which require smart channels), then you will only have 128 channels available to you in the iDMX, but if you are turning on or off, then you will be able to have 170RGB channels with 2 unused on the iDMX.

I would suggest you look at fasteddy's manual at this link for the answers to your questions:

http://auschristmasl...0.html#msg15570

In answer to your first question, it depends. I'm not sure about daisy chaining. If you are going to use the S3 software with twinkles and shimmers (which require smart channels), then you will only have 128 channels available to you in the iDMX, but if you are turning on or off, then you will be able to have 170RGB channels with 2 unused on the iDMX.

I would suggest you look at fasteddy's manual at this link for the answers to your questions:

http://auschristmasl...0.html#msg15570

By that you mean 128 channels doing an effect at one time, correct? It should provide you with 512 channels, but only allow fade access to 128 at one time. Once the fade is complete it frees up the 128 to be used anywhere in the 512.

Please correct if I am wrong on this, but it sounds right to me!

first question.. 128 channels doing fades,etc simultaneously is correct.

second question.. you can daisy chain out of an LOR box IF you run them in DMX mode. Search the forums for more info on that.. i don't run it that way so I am not familiar with it. (watch pinouts are different)

third question.. the Enttec Open is a USB connected DMX interface (similar to an LOR USB485 adapter) that allows you to drive DMX devices from S3. You can also use another USB485 device in DMX mode to drive DMX devices as well (watch for the 1 channel offset potentially though..)

dave

• The topic was locked