Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB two color chase

cenote

Is there a way, or anybody figure out a way if you create a chase in RGB mode, than you want to fill in the background with a second color, how to achieve this? Currently, every way I try, after creating the chase, when I try filling i the background with a second color, the chase color turns the color of the two colors combined. Even if I create a chase with out fades, same results. Any ideas? Even tried creating a background color first than chase, no luck.

1st pic, standard chases

2nd pic, when you add red to background

post-117-0-18667900-1350179309_thumb.jpg

post-117-0-53880600-1350179393_thumb.jpg

Make sure you have "Background" effects activated when you add the Red. With Background activated, any portion of the sequence that has nothing in it, will turn red, and everything else will be left alone.

Make sure you have "Background" effects activated when you add the Red. With Background activated, any portion of the sequence that has nothing in it, will turn red, and everything else will be left alone.

Not true in RGB channels (to my findings)...greens turn yellow with background activated :( Have tried ever combo I can think of :angry:

I'm sure this isn't a preferred method, but it works. (Though, there is some cleanup work to do afterwords.)

Start with 3 cells, Red/Green/Red, then create your chase. You'll have to do some clean up work to get the rest of it Red, but it gets the majority of it.

So, Don's suggestion of setting up the chase with both colors seems to be the easiest way around this. Just use the fill tool after (Or 'On', either would work as desired, but 'fill' would probably be a little quicker). However, in trying to make this work, I came up with some pretty cool chases. Normal 1 color chase, then 'fill' with background color to create color fades around the chase. It looks as if everything is lit up one color, then fades and chases at the same time, if that makes sense?

Not for sure I read the original post right but to my experience with RGB, If you include more than one color at any given point (per channel), those colors will react to make a certain combined color. Being background or not, RGB doesn't know or care about that. Your still applying more than one color to a three color strip.

Now with techniques Don, those are good points to interchange colors but if more than one color is applied to a single channel, you will get a combined color of those colors.

Edited by Santas Helper

Another way to do what you require (ie red chase on a green background) is to set the initial chase cell(s) so that there is some non zero intensity in each of the RGB components. ie chase cell(s) red 100%, with green & blue at say 1% (could be 10% even).

Create the chase using the RGB cell(s) using chase tool.

Then turn background effects on and use the colour fade tool (set to colour green to green) to fill the background. This will then fill all empty cells green.

No clean up required.

Another way to do what you require (ie red chase on a green background) is to set the initial chase cell(s) so that there is some non zero intensity in each of the RGB components. ie chase cell(s) red 100%, with green & blue at say 1% (could be 10% even).

Create the chase using the RGB cell(s) using chase tool.

Then turn background effects on and use the colour fade tool (set to colour green to green) to fill the background. This will then fill all empty cells green.

No clean up required.

I'll give that a try, sounds like a decent work around v

Wishlist, good idea! It kind of seems like a no-brainer to have a tool that would fill all cells that are off, without over-riding or adding to cells that are on.

Wishlist, good idea! It kind of seems like a no-brainer to have a tool that would fill all cells that are off, without over-riding or adding to cells that are on.

The "Background" effect does this, though it would seem it handles RGB channels differently. Try it with non-RGB and you'll see that it works wonderfully.

The "Background" effect does this, though it would seem it handles RGB channels differently. Try it with non-RGB and you'll see that it works wonderfully.

That's the biggest reason that I was originally confused by this thread. So, something that works like the 'background' effect but doesn't affect RGB cells that already have data in them would be perfect!

So, something that works like the 'background' effect but doesn't affect RGB cells that already have data in them would be perfect!

:) :) :)

• 2 weeks later...

I did this very same chase with 96 channels of DMX RGB. Wound up doing a red chase and then manually filling the empty spots with a very dim blue. I could not get it to work any other way.. Perhaps it was that I didn't have enough coffee!

The issue is, Background effects should treat RGB channels as a whole, and not as three individual, underlying channels. If there is something in ANY of the three channels, it should not apply the effect there. That is, if the color is black, apply the effect, if it's anything else, skip it.

This is how most of us would like it to work.

Edited by Tim Fischer
  • Like 1

The issue is, Background effects should treat RGB channels as a whole, and not as three individual, underlying channels. If there is something in ANY of the three channels, it should not apply the effect there. That is, if the color is black, apply the effect, if it's anything else, skip it.

This is how most of us would like it to work.

so then if the background effect button is pressed then it should ignore filled in cells correct? Edited by james campbell

I am probably missing something here, but couldn't you just start the original chase with the color fade tool. Choose a red to green fade as the chase color, than create a second chase with green to red. Than just use the fill tool between the chases.

Is the issue with my way above the fade between red and green? Is the issue-you're trying to get the fill on an existing chase?

Steve

Could you not also try this. Open up the first RGB Chanel, and in the first timing grid to the right of your green chase, add you fill color. Create another chase w/ paste from foreground exactly parallel to your green chase. Do the exact same thing to the left of the next chase. Than use the fill tool between.

Steve