Light-O-Rama Forums

Houston we have a problem....HELP!

avery255

So I was testing some new RGB modules that I just got on my controller CMB16D-QC. I rigged up a quick test cord using 22 gauge security wire. I put alligator clips on one end to make it easy to test the lights.... so I thought. Hooked up my controller to my computer and had no problems. Clipped my clips to the module and had no problems......until I noticed a few small sparks where the alligator clips were touching each other. Quickly tried to grab the clips and separate them when I noticed smoke coming up from my control board!!!! Needless to say I panicked and unplugged the controller ASAP!!!

Upon inspection the positive wire heated up and started to melt and I think shorted out on the channel 3 tab that sticks up on the outside edge of the board and that is where the smoke came from and now that tab is discolored. I disconnected all the wires and plugged it back in and the light on the board still flashes.

Now problem number 2. Seemingly at the same time I noticed that my computer froze up with the hardware page open. I shut everything down and reopened LOR hardware and connected the controller up again and got this message: The serial port (comm 5) assigned to LOR has a problem you may need to select another port. I grabbed one of my other controllers and tried to connect it with the computer with no luck. got the same message....

After spending some time ( hours....) I discovered that the USB port on the computer that I was using at the time is no longer working??? It never had an issue before. Soooo I tried another USB port and to no avail I can not get any of my controllers to talk to my computer!!!

So now I think I somehow shorted out my USB port and possibly shorted out my RS485 adapter. I opened my device manager and connected my adapter to another USB port and the computer sees it and says it’s working properly....

I am at a loss right now!!!

Did I destroy my board? don’t know, can’t get any controllers to talk to my computer...

If I have a short on the board would it send current back up the CAT5 through the adapter and short out the USB port??? NO FRICKIN IDEA!!!

Is my adapter bad? Then why does it say its working fine on another USB port????

If my adapter is not bad, why can I not get ANY of my controllers to work??? F@%K!!!!!

I'M IN GREAT NEED OF SOME HELP ASAP.....I'm trying to get my Halloween show up and running!!!!

I've spent all day on this and I am lost.....

Help.....

Edited by avery255

Would you please make future posts in a font that someone doesn't need a magnifying glass to read. Thank you. Now I'll go back and try to understand your problem.

So now I think I somehow shorted out my USB port and possibly shorted out my RS485 adapter. I opened my device manager and connected my adapter to another USB port and the computer sees it and says it’s working properly....

If your computer is seeing the adapter on another port, then go into the Hardware Utility and in the Setup Comm Port section click the auto configure button. Let it search and see if that shows the port that is working with your adapter. If it does, then use the HU to verify that you can see your controllers in the computer. Hopefully the software just needs to be adjusted to a different port. As far as the cause of the problem, are you sure about the wiring of the modules, I've heard that the wires sometimes are not the same on different modules, some use a common +, while some use a common -. Verify the correct configuration for your modules and good luck.

I wouldn't think shorting out the output channels on the board would kill your RS485 dongle much less your USB port. Most likely you killed the MOSFET on the board (the DC equivalent of the triac). Beyond that, I'm not sure, but I agree you should open a support ticket.

Good luck...

If your computer is seeing the adapter on another port, then go into the Hardware Utility and in the Setup Comm Port section click the auto configure button. Let it search and see if that shows the port that is working with your adapter. If it does, then use the HU to verify that you can see your controllers in the computer. Hopefully the software just needs to be adjusted to a different port. As far as the cause of the problem, are you sure about the wiring of the modules, I've heard that the wires sometimes are not the same on different modules, some use a common +, while some use a common -. Verify the correct configuration for your modules and good luck.

It sees the adapter in device manager, but when I change the port number and auto configure it comes back with no LOR controllers were found. As far as the modules, I had test them before with no issues. I think my problem was the alligator clips were touching and overheated the wire. Just my best guess???? But i will check the common...

I wouldn't think shorting out the output channels on the board would kill your RS485 dongle much less your USB port. Most likely you killed the MOSFET on the board (the DC equivalent of the triac). Beyond that, I'm not sure, but I agree you should open a support ticket.

Good luck...

Here is what i think i smoked. I do believe it is the MOSFET. Does this kill the board or just the channel? If its just the channel can I fix it?

post-8802-0-80775500-1350105106_thumb.jp

Are you getting a blinking (or solid) power light on the board?

If not, I suspect you blew the MOSFET *and* a board fuse. You could try swapping the fuses and see if it will then see the board again.

I get a blinking light so I'm hopeing its just the MOSFET and I can replace it. I need to get my controllers talking to my computer before I can figure that out though. At this point I cant get any of my controllers to talk!

I also tried getting my controllers to talk to another computer and had the same issues. At this point I think its my RS485 adapter or the USB cable that attaches to it or both. As for my USB port not working anymore, I'm at a loss on that one...

By the way, does anyone know if LOR deals with help tickets on the weekend or am on on the dreaded weekend hold and have to wait till Monday???

Edited by avery255

Ok, just a few thoughts. Most laptops supply less power to each USB port than a desktop or tower computer. Sounds like you can see the adapter on a different USB port. Each USB port is a different comm port number. So moving from one USB port to another is going to make you have to change the comm port number that the program will used to find the adapter.

See you say that you shutdown, but sounds like just the program. Need to reboot after a freeze up to make sure that any junk in the registers are cleaned up.

And I will just repeat what others have said. DO NOT try to run more than just one of the LOR programs at a time. Serial is not multi-tasking like IP devices are.

Maybe try plugging in a memory stick in the usb port to verify if the usb still works. A blinking light means its not talking to the computer yet. If the HU sees the usb485 adaptor, your contollers should be solid red then, then search for the controllers. Try selecting a comm port manually one-by-one to see if you can get the HU to see the adaptor.

In your pic, the arrow blocks the view of the mosfet, but doesn't look fried from what I see. A short usually just takes out that channel. You can request new mosfets and replace them. I fried the traces on my board and had to make my own to make it work.

Ok, just a few thoughts. Most laptops supply less power to each USB port than a desktop or tower computer. Sounds like you can see the adapter on a different USB port. Each USB port is a different comm port number. So moving from one USB port to another is going to make you have to change the comm port number that the program will used to find the adapter.

See you say that you shutdown, but sounds like just the program. Need to reboot after a freeze up to make sure that any junk in the registers are cleaned up.

And I will just repeat what others have said. DO NOT try to run more than just one of the LOR programs at a time. Serial is not multi-tasking like IP devices are.

Yep, did al that with no luck. Went in to DM and changed Com port to different number and nothin, I even went to the extreme of uninstalling and reinstalling LOR software with no luck.

Maybe try plugging in a memory stick in the usb port to verify if the usb still works. A blinking light means its not talking to the computer yet. If the HU sees the usb485 adaptor, your contollers should be solid red then, then search for the controllers. Try selecting a comm port manually one-by-one to see if you can get the HU to see the adaptor.

In your pic, the arrow blocks the view of the mosfet, but doesn't look fried from what I see. A short usually just takes out that channel. You can request new mosfets and replace them. I fried the traces on my board and had to make my own to make it work.

My USB port is D, E, A, D....DEAD!!! nothing works through that USB port aymore. The pic is not of my board, used it to just point out the part that I assure you is damaged...

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for taking the time to try and help me troubleshoot through my stupidity... Currently I'm waiting on the help desk to get back to me. Also I ordered a new RS485 that should be here on Tuesday. Hopefully I get this issue resolved. I have all my Halloween stuff up and it's waiting to come alive...

Moral of this story is do not get in a hurry and use iffy means to make connections. Power corrupts and iffy power is going to eventually cause problems.

Hope the fix is relatively painless as possible.

Well great news! Received my new adapter and everything is up and running!!! As far as my controller, I only lost one channel and I can fix it after the holladays. I can also send the adapter in for repairs and I will have a spare. I guess I should of had one to begin with but you don't think about the little things until something happens and you need it....

Thanks again for all the troubleshooting advice