Light-O-Rama Forums

Open of serial port has failed

NEWTOUR

Not sure what to do from here. I am a complete newbie. Just recieved my first ctb16pc controller, ran the USB485 disc, and the lor software, and did the quick setup. I have also done the test with the hardware utility. Have also tried going into device manager and selecting port.

PLEASE Help

SORRY I'M A TARD. I HAD TO GO INTO THE GO INTO THE HARDWARE UTILITY FOR SOME REASON IT DIDN'T HAVE THE CORRECT PORT SELECTED. I.E. COM PORT 1 NOT COMM4

Guest wbottomley

SORRY I'M A TARD. I HAD TO GO INTO THE GO INTO THE HARDWARE UTILITY FOR SOME REASON IT DIDN'T HAVE THE CORRECT PORT SELECTED. I.E. COM PORT 1 NOT COMM4

Yep. Happens all of the time every year.

Great! At least you didnt give up and throw your hands into the air. You did good keeping at it and found the problem. Give your self a pat on the back for keeping at it.

Let's just say that someone out there was about to give up and throw hands in the air. What would you tell that person? As in, where do you click to even change that COM port setting?

Which version of Windows are you running? I am up to Win 7 and having to relearn where everything is. I still have 2000, XP, and Vista on laptops and like I said each seems to be a wee bit different. Well 2000 and XP are the same.

I am using XP on my laptop and it works fine. But when I transferred all of my LOR stuff to my wifes desktop is when I get the failure notice. The desktop is Windows 7 and I am lost on 7.

I know that feeling about being lost on Win 7. You did remember to reload the software for the USB adapter, right?

Ok, just did this myself. Click on Start, Control panel, System and then Device manager. Look for Ports in the list and expand it. Double click on the one that says USB. Then click on the tab for "Port Settings" Then the advanced button. From here you should see a drop down for the port number.

Guest Don Gillespie

I know that feeling about being lost on Win 7. You did remember to reload the software for the USB adapter, right?

Ok, just did this myself. Click on Start, Control panel, System and then Device manager. Look for Ports in the list and expand it. Double click on the one that says USB. Then click on the tab for "Port Settings" Then the advanced button. From here you should see a drop down for the port number.

Thanks MP I would have pulled my hair out, I forgot to do this just got a new computer a month ago

:P I wish I could tell you that I did all of that and it worked perfectly. But . . . I was showing the problem to my son tonight and plugged in the USB and he said "wait, just give it a minute . . .", and it connected! I didn't do anything but cry wolf I guess. I appreciate the feedback and input, I was getting desparate. :)

Don, glad I was of help to you for a change. Rab, ya, I learned a few years back to give it a second or two. Dang you would think that the darn computers running GHz would be faster than it is sometimes. Glad you got yours working too.