Light-O-Rama Forums

Hardware Utility doesn't keep my setup

mixnight

Hi everyone, this year I added a second 16ch controller, everything is working well with both controllers but every day I have to setup the Hardware Utility and cofigure the comm port selector and refresh the network, then schedule start to work.

The new controller is the professional grade set as a 1st controller and the second one is the residencial controller (no manual option to set address).

LOR control panel is enable and set to launch at startup, schedule is enable.

Do I have to do this every day or is there a way to save/store my setup into the HU?

Thanks

I'm not sure if I follow.

When you say you have to auto-configure in the HWU, "then schedule start to work" --- do you mean that you have something scheduled to run, but the shows, despite being enabled, will not run?

If that's the case, are you unplugging your RS485 adapter each night? If so, it would be best to not unplug it each night. If that's not possible, be sure to use the same USB port each night.

When you do refresh, does it ask, "Is this the comm port you wish to use for LOR shows?" (or something like that.) If so, be sure to say "Yes." When you do, the software will set that as the comm port to use in the future.

Show are anabled, the RS485 adapter is plugged always, controllers are powered on always, but show don't start untill I do HU setup again every day.

Guest wbottomley

The HU is used only once during setup. After that, it's pretty much not used.

Unless you are changing usb ports on the LOR adapter which you should not do, I suggest start at the beginning again to set everything up on the pc.

Do you have to schedule the start time every day? Are you saving the show schedule?

Once you schedule a show in the schedule editor and save it, you shouldn't have to return except to make changes.

Do you have all the days checked to run the show each day?

I'm sure it's something easy to overlook.

Like William mentioned, maybe start at the beginning (walk thru what you did)

When I open HU the only thing that I don't see is the name of controllers right there next to the refresh button, and by the way I have to unplug the rs485 adapter every day then refresh and bingo, show start to run with lights on from show, if I don't unplug the rs485 adapter and refresh music still playing without lights from show

When I open HU the only thing that I don't see is the name of controllers right there next to the refresh button, and by the way I have to unplug the rs485 adapter every day then refresh and bingo, show start to run with lights on from show, if I don't unplug the rs485 adapter and refresh music still playing without lights from show

Sounds like you might have an rs485 adaptor problem?

Guest wbottomley

Would you post the error message from the status window from the control panel?

Plus, go to the LOR folder in your start menu and click Verifier then post those results here.

These things above will help diagnose your problem.

Thr refresh is working correctly, it only shows the controller on a refresh, not went you start the HU.

As for the 485, does the same comm port number come up correctly every time you start the HU?

Many years ago I had a 485 fail. It was doin weird stuff. LOR replaced it ASAP and it fixed the problem.

Not sayin it's the same with you but it's something to keep in mind.

Thr refresh is working correctly, it only shows the controller on a refresh, not went you start the HU.

As for the 485, does the same comm port number come up correctly every time you start the HU?

Yes the comm oprt number comes up correctly every time I start the HU

Maybe I need to upgrade to the latest LOR software version, will see what happens tonight

Would you post the error message from the status window from the control panel?

Plus, go to the LOR folder in your start menu and click Verifier then post those results here.

These things above will help diagnose your problem.

This is what I get every time I open HU, that means: iseverything ok and working? I say yes because when scheduled show starts at the time that have to start, it start to play the music but the lights at the display still off (of course controllers are powered on) then I click on refresh button and close HU and display is on with sequences.

post-8814-0-19712100-1349893549_thumb.jp

That is normal HU behavior.

Guest wbottomley

This is what I get every time I open HU, that means: iseverything ok and working? I say yes because when scheduled show starts at the time that have to start, it start to play the music but the lights at the display still off (of course controllers are powered on) then I click on refresh button and close HU and display is on with sequences.

I would manually assign a comm port that's not listed but not higher than 16. Then in the HU, put that comm port number in and give it a try.

One more thing I might add. If your CAT5 cable is faulty, it could cause the same problem, play music but not the lights.

I ran into that in the past as well.

I'm leaning toward connections somewhere between the computer and controllers.

I would manually assign a comm port that's not listed but not higher than 16. Then in the HU, put that comm port number in and give it a try.

The comm port is asigned and always is listed as a comm3, I checked at my control panel device manager and yes it's comm 3 for LOR

One more thing I might add. If your CAT5 cable is faulty, it could cause the same problem, play music but not the lights.

I ran into that in the past as well.

I'm leaning toward connections somewhere between the computer and controllers.

I will try to change the CAT5 cable

When starting your computer, do you have anyother LOR program running, like the Control Panel, Sequence Editor, scheduler, etc that would use the 485 dongle?

If so that is your error message, the first program that starts will take control of the dongle and not allow the HU to use it. You have to close all your other LOR programs then start the HU. No expections.

When starting your computer, do you have anyother LOR program running, like the Control Panel, Sequence Editor, scheduler, etc that would use the 485 dongle?

If so that is your error message, the first program that starts will take control of the dongle and not allow the HU to use it. You have to close all your other LOR programs then start the HU. No expections.

I do not have another LOR program running, only I turn on the computer for the show at 6:25pm and wait to see if preshow (6:30 - 7:00:00pm with muted audio and faded 50%sequence) starts then show with all sequences (7:00:01 - untill) but don't open any LOR software, only is after I don't see any light comes on after 6:30pm I do open HU to refresh network and couple of times unplug the dongle and plug it again then refresh network and then show run well.