Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR Problem

Kyle Whitaker

I have 4 CCRs. Unit ID's 0B, 0C, 0D, 0E. For some reason the first "pixel" sometimes get stuck blinking red. Nothing in SE and I am seeing it in multiple sequences. I saw it in the visualizer at first and I thought it was a problem there but now that I've hooked up the actual CCRs I can see that it actually happens. Not sure that it is a hardware issue since it's in the visualizer too in many sequences. Any idea? Video attached.

What happens if you plug the ribbon into another controller? Does the flashing stick with the controller or with the ribbon? What happens when you hold in the test button as you power up the ribbon with the blinking? Do the Red, green, blue colors chase down the ribbon? Doesn't sound like a hardware issue if you see it in the visualizer. Did you make sure the controllers are set to normal mode in the Hardware utility?

Steve

It's not the ribbon, I plug in a different ribbon and same result but on the new ribbon. Flashing sticks with the controller; however, note that it is the first controller unit id sequentially (0B, 0C, 0D, 0E) where 0B is the problem child. The test button goes through test mode just fine. I agree that it is eather a channel config issue in SE or something else in SE since I see it in the Visualizer. Yes, all set to normal mode.

Interesting. I changed the first CCR to srat at unit ID 1B instead of 0B since I have a regular controller assigned 0A (maybe the source of the "bleed over" to the CCR on 0B). Now it works fine. Hmmm, not totally satisfied since I don't really know why the problem occurred, but at least I can save the new config and import it into the sequences and get rid of the problem even if the problem wasn't truly "solved".

• 2 weeks later...

For me, things like that often turn out to be that I was careless with the mouse somewhere in the sequence editor, and have accidentally programmed another channel to that same unit/channel address. Since it is the first pixel and in red, it is definitely channel 1. Then to hear that when you change the unit ID it goes away, that would support the theory. Double check all of your other channels and make sure that one of the unit IDs didn't accidentally duplicate Unit 0B and channel 1.

• 10 months later...

Ok, I got a similar problem here.  First year with the CCR's.  I got three of them.  Just installed them for a Halloween show that will Segway into my Christmas show.  Powered them up and they are beautiful.  Clear.. Bright... with one pixel right at the end bright white.  No matter what song, still white.  No matter if I have the sequencer open, still bright white.  Hardware manager, go to that controller and say lights off.  Still bright white.  Shut the computer OFF.  Still bright white.  Just the end 3 LED's on my ribbon.  All three controllers are configured identical. The lights are on with the computer off.  I've hit the reset buttons on all three, but haven't observed anything at all happen.  I did just see above that the reset buttons have to be hit WHILE applying power.  I haven't been able to get deep into the trouble shooting yet but I will tomorrow.  My controllers are about 15 feet up in a tree.  The controllers are numbered 21, 22 and 23 (for my benefit) and my problem child is #23. 

Any ideas?

No controller as #24, and I see all three ribbons in the Visualizer.  No errant pixels in the visualizer.  At least, none that show up.  Just the last three leds bright white..

Hmmm, I remember moving my problem CCR to another channel and then it worked.  I thought it might be some sort of "channel bleed" but who knows.  I was just happy that it worked.  You might try moving it to another channel just to verify that the problem is related to the channel number and not the controller.  Also, just a tip.  After adding the CCRs with all of the other existing channels I experianced big "network lag" when a lot of things were going on at once.  I didn't realize it until it was show time so it was a scramble to order another USB network adapter.  They don't cost very much so you might want to think about it before you put everything up and run a show and see things not turning on when they are supposed to!

I've thought about that also.  The way I've got mine now is Computer - ELL----ELL-LOR1602w-Cat5-CCR-CCR-CCR.  This was a temp set up until I get the bugs worked out of it.  The final plan is Computer-Cat5-LOR1062w-Cat5-CCR-CCR-CCR-LOR1602w-ELL and then to the rest of the show Wirelessly.  I will be hardwiring the CCR's to the controller first.  If that doesn't work, I've already got another network adapter in storage.  What was confusing me was that even with the computer OFF, the last 3 LED's were still on.  I had to unplug the controller power to keep someone from thinking that there is a three eyed monster in the tree in the middle of the night. 

Tomorrow, I'll hard wire everything.  If no luck, then I'll move everything on 23 to another channel and try that.  then we try the additional network..  I was telling someone the other day.  When I first started with LOR, the software instruction manual was a pamphlet.  Now it's a 590 page pdf file.  :)  

Sorry if this is obvious... did you try to plug in the light strip into a different controller?  If same problem on #23 then change #22 to #23 and #23 to #22.  That would first verify the light strip, then the controller.

Something I'm not clear about...if it stays white all the time even if you have the computer off, what happens when you reset the controller? Does the problem pixel stay white or goes away and runs through the 3 colors while holding the reset button. And just to be clear, to reset the controller...unplug the power, hold the reset button and then apply power. Don't let go of the button. The ribbon will run through the 3 colors over and over. Release and now reset.

• Like 1

Create another squence and copy ONLY the CCRs.

Play the squence and see if the problem is still there.

Sounds like a programing issue to me.

Sorry about the misunderstanding.   I mentioned earlier that I just discovered that when you reset, you have to have power off and then plug in while holding button.  I didn't know that part.  I will try it this afternoon.  I got a bit more experimenting to do this afternoon and tonight.  I'll let you know what happens.  I got a lot of experimenting to do to figure it out.  Was hoping that someone had a definite answer.  If nothing else, I got some black duct tape to cover the last three LED's.  (just kidding.. ) LOL 

Ok.. update. 

1.  Did a reset.  Ribbon waved and color changed as advertised.  All but the final three led's.  Which stayed on.  No change.

2.  Unplugged the ribbon from 23 and moved to 22.  Flnal 3 led's remained on with the same ribbon.

3.  Went into Hardware utility, Renumbered 23 to 26.  Final 3 led's remained on.

4.  Deleted Controller 23 totally from the system.  Final 3 led's remained on. 

5.  Took existing sequence, Copied commands from 23 and created 26.  Pasted all commands to 26.  Deleted 23.  Final 3 led's remained on. 

6.  Back to hardware manager.  Went to 26.  Commanded all lights off.  Final 3 leds remained on. 

7.  Reset Controller 26 to 23.  Recommanded all lights off.  Final 3 led's remained on.   

8.  Unloaded LOR Control panel totally.  Final 3 led's remained on

9.  Shut the computer completly off.  Final 3 led's remained on.

10. Pulled the plug to controller 23.  Final 3 led's finally go out. 

My vote is for a faulty ribbon.  Anybody got any other idea? :wacko:  

Make sure you don't have anything in the macro section. (Unless of course you are using macros). I had the same problem where i had accidentally copied a low intensity part of sequence into the macro channels. It was say 10% or so and you couldn't see it. I went in and selected all the macro channels and hit delete. Problem solved for me.

Edited by SWood

Ok.. I am NOT seeing it in the visualizer.  I said I am seeing the RIBBONS in the visualizer.  Not the three errant lights.  There is Nothing in the macro section.  Like I said... I feel it is a hardware problem because the lights are on with the computer OFF.  Three ribbons, side by side.  All black and off except for the one on the right which has 3 lights at the very tip on with a bright white light.  I plug in power to the controllers for the ribbons and the last three bulbs turn on.  I run my entire show.  The last three lights don't even flicker.  They are on bright white.