Light-O-Rama Forums

Dimming/fading problem on Talking faces

DLTSLC

I wasn't sure if anyone else has run into this problem but here goes....

Running latest S3 advanced, with brand new, gen3 1602 AC controllers, latest firmware. Run a sequence with fades for the talking faces, and they do not reproduce on the faces. Shows on the visualizer, but for some reason, the faces really do not like fading. I'm using 3/8" and 1/2" incandescent rope light from Action Lighting, and they worked just fine when I had the face inside the house testing it, but started acting up when I took them outside. While inside, I hooked up the extension cords to make sure the length didn't mess up the sync, and they worked flawlessly. Again, moving them outside - controllers suddenly went on a fade strike!

Anyone else run into this or have an idea ?

Unless you have an extension cord long enough to wrap around the earth at the equator about 5 times I think it is. You should not have any sync problems.

Ok so what changed from inside the house to the outside of the house. The extension cords, are they polarized so that they only plug in one way, you cant turn it 180 degrees and re-insert the plug? And I am referring to the cord that would supply 110VAC to the controller. Are you sure that the outlet is properly wired so that the hot (black wire) is going to the gold colored screw on the outlet. I have seen problems when the hot is going out to the lights and the neutral wire is getting controlled in the controller. Are the faces (Rope Lights) mounted on a wire mesh and is this wire mesh sitting on the ground? Can you raise it off of the ground, on wooden blocks or PVC pipe?

Both cords connected to same outlet.

Faces sit on wire mesh but not on ground. Cords only plug in one way. Same setup as inside just different outlets. I wonder if post #5 here is what's going on....

Faces sit on wire mesh but not on ground. Cords only plug in one way. Same setup as inside just different outlets. I wonder if post #5 here is what's going on....

http://forums.lighto...e +not +working

So, this is at a commercial site with 3 phase power? That will change things for sure.

Not at a commercial site. I have 2 7-channel faces on one 1602 controller. One of the faces does fades, the other does not. Channels 1-7 and 8-14 for the respective faces. And obviously double checked the sequence, and it shows in the visualizer, but not in the realizer :(

Last year I had some fading issues and found it was the cat5 cable wasn't making good contact, corrected it and problem went away.

Earle

• 4 weeks later...

Any movement on this topic? I am experiencing a similar problem and was wondering if you got yours to work and if you did how. My issue is controller one works correctly. Controller two fades don't work. When it is supposed to fade up it turns on 100% right away no ramp up. When it is supposed to fade down it doesnt do anything until the sequence hits the 100% off mark and then it shuts off totally. Please let me know. Thanks

Any movement on this topic? I am experiencing a similar problem and was wondering if you got yours to work and if you did how. My issue is controller one works correctly. Controller two fades don't work. When it is supposed to fade up it turns on 100% right away no ramp up. When it is supposed to fade down it doesnt do anything until the sequence hits the 100% off mark and then it shuts off totally. Please let me know. Thanks

if you have leds that don't fade then they will do that, but if your using incandesant then it's something else

You might try this.....

"If the lights are indeed dimmable (some LEDs are not and are usually labeled non-dimmable), you should check the dimming curves in your light controllers (these are only available in our G3 boards that have been out about a year.) Find the boards in the Hardware Utility and go into 'Advanced Configuration' for each controller board. There you will find the dimming curves. Make sure each channel is set for 'LOR Standard' Read details at http://www.lightorama.com/help/configuring_units.htm?zoom_highlightsub=dimming+curve"

Hope this helps!!

They are all dimmable incandescent lights hooked up to both controllers. I hooked up identical lights to each line of each controller to diagnose this issue. As suggested above I checked the dimming curve in the HU and they are all set to LOR Standard. So still looking for some input. Thanks for the suggestions above. I am going to be checking the firmware this morning and if that helps I will report back.

Investigated the 3 phase topic above.....BINGO! Moved things around in the panel...Fixed! Thanks Everyone Now back to sequencing for the next 20+ days :)