Light-O-Rama Forums

DMXKING ultraDMX micro

storminstang06

Has anyone used this to run a dmx signal? It seems to be working, but my device is not responding. I'm trying to use this to control a dmx capable fog machine. In dmx mode, the fogger's timer function should be disabled, but it isn't. Did I get the wrong dongle for this? It is set for Universe 1 channel 1, is not using a terminator, CommListener finds it no problem. Should I have just caved and got an enttec? Is there something wrong with the remote timer? How should I even start to troubleshoot this?

The whole device is the dongle. It doesn't need a usb to xlr because it is one and the same. I have been in contact with dmxking and they think the problem is with the fogger's setup or incorrect settings in lor since the dongle is in communication with lor. It should work with lor and a fogger and can be used with anything that works with enttec. I got this one because at the time it was cheaper. Here is the link with picture:

http://dmxking.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=26&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

I got the same dongle and haven't had any issues while testing the lights in the house. Remember if you're controlling the dongle via LOR that LOR needs the USB485 plugged in as well. At least that's what I've found.

I have this one and it's great! It puts the processing on the Dongle just like the Entec Pro! So it's not reliant on your computer speed...

To add to the topic, I have used the DMX micro to control a Fog machine at a party earlier this year with great success. I worked like a charm. perhaps the fogger unit's dmx board you have is bad. Have you tried running the LOR dongle in DMX mode and then wiring up the fogger through cat5? I'd try that before ordering another dongle or fogger...

I got the same dongle and haven't had any issues while testing the lights in the house. Remember if you're controlling the dongle via LOR that LOR needs the USB485 plugged in as well. At least that's what I've found.

I haven't found this to be the case. I've put the USB485 in DMX mode and used it standalone, I've also used the DMX Micro by itself running LOR. Now keep in mind when I did this, it was only in testing, none the less it worked.

I have wondered if the dmx board was bad.... but would the timer function still be able to work? I'm glad to hear another fogger has been used successfully with this. I have no other dmx devices to try out with this (great excuse to finally buy some rgbs, though!) I bought this machine several months ago and just recently got this as my first dmx dongle, so I have not used the dmx function on it before. Since it's been so long, I don't know if the manufacturer will make a swap or not, but they did have nice customer service when I called a few days ago about this. I was told I may have to play around with it or that it may have to have dip switch 10 on (which makes no sense to me....doesn't that add 256 to its address?)

Thank you for a little reassuarnce. dmxking says there is something something wrong with either the fogger's setup or the settings in lor. Based on my description, they think the dongle it functioning as it should.

So I guess the next thing would be to call and ask for a new remote timer? I guess I will call them back on Monday....

I didn't try to hook it up with cat5 and the lor dongle. I can though. I do have a cat5 to xlr I got from Seasonal Entertainment. I didn't think that would work without the idmx though...

I'll try that before I call on Monday.

Guest wbottomley

Nope. You do not. I have proven that theory wrong many times.

• 1 month later...

I bought one of these DMXKING Micro units and I can't get LOR to talk to it.. or find it for that matter. I know the unit works because I can control it using the DMXKING config..

Can you tell me how you got it to work? I have tried everything I can thing of.

An update.. I got it working.. Seems closing and opening things gave me another choice when it came to the "adaptor".

Glad you got it working! I have no problems getting the dongle to talk to LOR, but the machine hasn't responded to any signals. I think it is the machine or very poor programming instructions that came with the machine. I'm going to try running a signal with myDMX by American DJ and see if that does anything. The funny thing is, I downloaded it already and found my machine in its device bank. It says it uses 2 channels, and the instructions says it is a 'one channel intelligent dmx device.' So something is definitely not quite right. I'm hoping I can figure this out since the dude I talked to on the phone flat out told me he'd never gotten a dmx call for this fogger before. He was pretty much looking at the same instructions I had, so not much help...

I ran the fogger on its timer this year....

If your pc sees the dmxking, then LOR should see it as well. I have the ultra pro and had to set it to enntec in network setup. Might want to give that a try.

My pc and lor both see dmxking. I have tried all possible network settings and lor finds it every time, including non-enttec settings. So I'm not sure why my fogger is not responding to the signal. Like I said in my previous post, I'm going to see if I can get it working with mydmx since the fogger was manufactured by the same company. Maybe it's the channel setup? I've not had the chance to sit and play with it yet....

Ok, so after doing some research to find out if this machine is a 1 or a 2 channel unit, I have found the remote timer for sale, stating it would turn the unit into a 2 channel dmx unit. This is different than the directions that came with the fogger, which came with the very same remote timer! Ugh! Go figure! So it says channel 1 controls fog output (density) and channel 2 controls interval duration. How do I program an interval into SE? I'm thinking channel 2 is the one I want to be on when I want the fogger to fog. And if I want 100% fog output 'intensity' do I set the intensity (channel 1) for 512 or 100 in SE?

I think I'm finally getting a little closer to getting this all figured out. Boy those instructions were horrible....and incorrect!

• 2 weeks later...

Just set one of these up today. This was my setup process. In LOR Networking Prefs, you need to select the DMXking adapter as the "Adapter" (mine showed up as "6AVVTKDQ") and "ENTTEC DMX USB Pro" in "Protocol. Then, in the sequence editor, you have to set up your channels so that the Device Type is "DMX Universe" and set your addresses appropriately in Universe 1. I moved to the DMXKing adapter from the LOR iDMX1000 and it works MUCH better. No latency issues or missed signals. I was having problems getting LOR to talk to the DMXKing unit until i set the Regular Network in Networking Preferences to (None).

• 2 months later...

BOOYA!!! After how much research, I finally found more specific instructions for my fogger's dmx remote timer: http://www.americandj.com/pdffiles/FS-DMXT%20Remote%20Timer.pdf

Boy was this helpful!

My fogger is now responding LOR's DMX signal (via DMXKING ultraDMX micro)!!!!!!! It was a matter of learning this is a TWO channel device, NOT one channel like the directions said, and learning what dmx intensity to program into LOR for which channel. Now if I could only get the fogger to stop when I click stop in SE! Nonetheless, I can now at least work with this. Now please excuse me while try to find my way to my alarming smoke detector....

• The topic was locked