Light-O-Rama Forums

fm transmitter

kelly jett

I saw a couple of warning flags raise up while reading the discription. Use it in the house, sounds much like the "Whole House" transmitters that we tell everyone to run not walk away from. And the phase "near by radios". I beg of you, what does near by radios mean? 10, 20, or more feet away? And there is truth to the old saying "You get what you pay for". I for one would not mess with it. And if you ask me what I would mess with. I not sure which model at this time. But it would be an EDM. But that is just me.

The web page is some interesting reading. Its apparently part 15 certified, but also interesting that they answer one of the FAQs "what is the broadcast power?" by quoting the part 15 rule: 250 Micro volts at 3 meters. It is the maximum allowed by the FCC.

Also from the faq page:

The output power of the FM Transmitter 2 is set to the maximum limit specified by the FCC. Most of our customers achieve 40 - 60 feet depending on their situation. The signal will travel up to 70’ under good conditions. The FM Transmitter-2 will work better in a noise free environment. In a noisy environment (such as one with lots of FM and computer noise) you can expect less range. We recommend extending the FM transmitter-2 input cable away from the computer (or any other RF noisy device) when connected.

Apparently there is an output power adjustment pot inside the unit...

Looks like it falls into that group with the vaseltecs and others.

Edit: forgot to post the website link: http://www.ccrane.com/radios/fm-transmitters/fm-transmitter-2.aspx#.UIfdS4aHPQo

Edited by GaryM

Thanx for the 2 replys Guys.

I am still no wiser really.

I want to get a FM Transmitter but a plug and play type.

Any suggestions ?

If I have to go to the expensive one, $125, then I will just have to.

Ta in advance

Lou

• 2 weeks later...

We use a modified Belkin Tunecast II that I picked up for about $9. Serves our needs perfectly and sounds great. http://www.ebay.com/itm/130783454851

That can't go that far can it?

I want to spend 30-40 bucks on one and can't figure out a decent option yet if there is one.

For $30-$40... you're best choice is the chinese CZH-05B, look for no more than .5w (500milliwatt) output, now if you can get it before Dec 1st.. that is what I would buy. I would absolutely avoid Amazon as that model is no less than $60 there.. eBay is the place to be...

Edited by TJ Hvasta

TJ that's the one I have. Does work great but at the 100mw still broadcasts about 2.5 blocks. Still no blue or black vans yet on my test days. Lol!

Can you put the radio in a downstairs room maybe? And don't collapse the antenna either, trying to keep the signal down, it'll present a bad load to the final transistor which could burn up. 2 1/2 blocks is fine as long as you are trying to comply with the intent of Part 15. ..trying not to blanket the city with your signal or create interference with commercial signals, you should be ok.

Keith that's the one I have. Works great. Mine didn't come with directions. So when you turn it on it will set at 500mw. To get it to 100mw hold the power button on and plug it in. The screen will say H or L use arrow up/down buttons to select. It should work unless they changed it.

• Like 1

I recieved my SainSonic a week ago. I have tested it, in fact I am testing it right now. I have walked two houses away in each direction and have not had any issues.. Wehn I have to go out in a few, I will fire it up again and see just how far from the house is till go... I found mine on ebay for about $50 plus shipping. Easy set up once you find a large enough space on the dial with no other stations near by.

• 3 weeks later...