Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Based RGB Controlers, Turning On Power

Soupcue

My trouble is that after my schedule stops the computer goes into hibernation and stops outputting DMX signal to the USB to DMX dongle. Soon after the cheap $7 DMX controllers start to run their test sequence.

I have been manually turning on the power supplies at night then off after the end of the show.

I know I could do the following but I’m curious what others are doing.

I could stop the PC from hibernating.

Put the power supplies on a cheap timer.

Use a channel or two from one of the LOR controllers to turn on the power supplies via a background sequence.

What are other doing to turn on/off their power supplies of their RGB lights?

Thanks

Greg

I use iDMX's for my non-E1.31 DMX stuff and they put out a DMX signal constantly, so it's not an issue for me. But if I was in your shoes I'd tell the computer to stop hibernating. I like my show to run itself, and the goal is that I shouldn't have to touch *anything* from day to day, and that means the computer has to stay awake to start the next day's show (and play music during the off-hours). Of course I end up repairing stuff, cleaning off snow after storms, etc but the goal is "hands off until tear-down"

• Like 1

I agree with Tim, I am using the 3 channel dmx modules this year, I have been testing all summer. Wrote a short sequence and running it in the show scheduler just like I would run my show during the holidays. I have had no problems at all. I have everything on my show computer that could sleep or hibernate disabled. No problems at all

• 2 weeks later...

I know with the holiday Coro 3ch. DMX controllers you can change the "no dmx signal state" built in sequences with their setup utility. I set mine to OFF, so if there is no signal they don't run their own sequence. But this doesn't do anything about turning on and off your power supplies.

I know with the holiday Coro 3ch. DMX controllers you can change the "no dmx signal state" built in sequences with their setup utility. I set mine to OFF, so if there is no signal they don't run their own sequence. But this doesn't do anything about turning on and off your power supplies.

I think this may only be a feature of the Version 2 controllers, but please correct me if im wrong because im not 100% sure.

I think this may only be a feature of the Version 2 controllers, but please correct me if im wrong because im not 100% sure.

You are correct.

• 3 weeks later...

My trouble is that after my schedule stops the computer goes into hibernation and stops outputting DMX signal to the USB to DMX dongle. Soon after the cheap $7 DMX controllers start to run their test sequence.

I have been manually turning on the power supplies at night then off after the end of the show.

I know I could do the following but I’m curious what others are doing.

I could stop the PC from hibernating.

Put the power supplies on a cheap timer.

Use a channel or two from one of the LOR controllers to turn on the power supplies via a background sequence.

What are other doing to turn on/off their power supplies of their RGB lights?

Thanks

Greg

Greg -

Simply setup a sequence without any channels on, set it to run after your regular show.

• The topic was locked