Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR CTB16PC

Guest guest

Hi Group,

I know this has been talked about before, but who has some good ideas on LOR boxes? Tupperware, Sprinkler boxes??

I've been trying to find something waterproof, that could withstand the crazy weather we see in Kansas. Also something reasonably priced that could be purchased at Home Depot/Wal-Mart.

Thanks!

This picture is of a hoffman enclosure that I used for a 16 channel controller. The plugs ar mounted in the bottom then I put legs on it so the connections would bo out of the weather.

Attached files 133478=7960-LOR Control box exteriorsml.

Lightman wrote:

Yup they do, just wanted something a little cheaper. That would be the way to go though.

Cheapest route is the "Tupperware" type containers. They don't look at all professional, but we have a few that have been outside for 4 seasons now with no issues.

It all depends on what's important to you, and what you're willing to spend. And how much luck you have in the closeout market -- many of us use boxes that were deeply discounted on closeout (e.g. the Primestar/MECI ones and the sprinker boxes HD was closing out a couple years back). But those deals are sporadic and don't last long, especially once the get posted here.

-Tim

I have two 16 channel cards mounted in a large plastic tool box. These are the large plastic tool boxes that can be had for under $10 at most home imrovement stores. I got mine for $4 at Menards. Just make sure the lip of the lid overlaps the bottom box. This will keep the water out. A little foam tape wouldn't hurt either. I used 16 AWG lamp cord for my plugs. The handle on top of the box makes it easy to transprt and two latches open the box up for servicing. We had a LOT of rain last season and the box performed flawlessly. I will post pictures if anybody is interested. 32 channels enclosed for under $10 is hard to beat...except maybe the tupperware route.

Here is my 48 channel LOR that i wired up Monday night. I used 4 plc controllers last year in the same box. No rain water or moisture in the box, it was bone dry. We had alot of rain last year. we put center blocks on top of the box and on the sides to keep from turning over and wind blowing the top off.

Attached files 133733=7975-MVC-001F.JPG