Light-O-Rama Forums

Trigger with muliple motion sensors

Steven

The problem I have now is that the show triggered by the motion sensor will not start until all motion sensing has stopped. This is my problem because the the haunted house will have multiple people walking through single file. So is there some relay or something i can put on the ground line that will prevent multiple sequential triggers?

It sounds like your motion sensors are NO (normally open), and that they are wired in parallel, which means that they will be triggered when the first one detects motion. Instead, if your show is being triggered when all motion stops, then it sounds like you have configured your input as a NC (normally closed), which means that it triggers when it opens.

If you want something to happen when a switch closes (or motion starts), and something else to happen when that same switch opens (or motion stops), then you have to wire that switch to 2 inputs, and set one to NO and the other to NC.

In the original message that Steven quoted (not sure where it came from), you are doing something a little similar to what I will be doing with my landscape lighting. I will have several sets of walkway lights that will be triggered by a person passing between one of several places. For example, on one particular walkway, there will be a sensor that detects that a person has started walking the walkway from the sidewalk towards the house, and another sensor that will detect someone walking that same walkway from the house towards the sidewalk. In each case, the walkway will light up in 8 segments starting at the end of the walkway where they are starting to walk. When the person reaches the other end of the walkway, they will cross the light beam that would normally be used for walking the other direction. I DO NOT want the system to trigger the lights in the other direction.

For example (just to make sure I'm clear on what I am trying to do), I will set an example of a person walking from the street to the house. When they cross a light beam at the sidewalk, a trigger will be used to start a sequence that will light up the 8 light segments on the walkway from the street to the house with a new segment turning on every 1.5 seconds. After 1 minute all the lights turn off (or more likely down to a very low level). About 15 seconds after crossing the light beam at the sidewalk, the person would cross the light beam at the front porch. If I did not inhibit that second light beam, the sequence for walking from the house to the street would be triggered. In order to prevent the "house to street" sequence from being triggered, there will be a relay (controlled by a separate channel) that opens the circuit on both trigger circuits. In my case it will actually be even more complicated because there are several sets of lights that will be inactively controlled with various sets of lockouts.

I can draw a schematic for you if desired of what I am doing.