Light-O-Rama Forums

Controller Heats Up

Struax87

I dont know if that is you I responded to in another thread talking about flickering lights. So, I will repeat the earlier question. Are you sure that your wall outlet is wired correctly? Hot on the brass screw and neutral on the silver screw. Did you put the power leads on the controller? Either way, insure that the black lead is going to the fuses and the neutral wires are on the right terminals.

I am running LEDs, ya I know your not. But the problem I had might be the same for you. I was using a non-polorized plug and thus Hot was going out to the lights and the neutral was be switched. But there is away that current leaks to ground, enough to light my LEDs. Hence the reason I am asking you to make sure that your hot is going to the fuses and not to the common neutral terminals.

Struax, when you say its warm.. just -what- is warm? the heat sinks? the transformer? If you feel warmth/heat coming off the board when you open the cover, that's to be expected because the case holds in the heat. Now, if you cant touch anything its so hot, then, yes, there is a problem. Otherwise, its "Ops Check Normal, OK for Service"

looks like it's that time of year again where everyone gets cranky :P

no names where mentioned,but it is like clockwork around here,folks saying they are leaving and not coming back the annual meltdown if you will,and it always gets intense this time of the year heck I'm feeling the crunch

Actually the "annual meltdown" usually happens in late winter/early spring after the lighting season when there isn't much else to do but be cranky. Please get your timing right! :rolleyes::P

Since you are using incandescent rope light, I would suggest you use a watt meter to verify you are not over powering each channel. I use 2 lengths of purple and orange rope light for my halloween display with each 2 being on 1 channel and if I remember correctly, when I checked, they were about 2amps per channel, which will warm the controller up pretty good depending on how long the lights are steady on.