Light-O-Rama Forums

Using Renard and LOR together

klomneck

I was told in another post that I could use x-lights to run my LOR sequences with Renard controllers. My question is: what will I need, other than x-lights, to run LOR and Renard controllers together? Is there a Wiki on how to do this? I have 11 LOR controllers and 4 ss24 controllers. Any help would be greatly appreciated because I need to get it set up and tested pretty soon. Thanks in advance, Kevin.

Kevin, Best way to run Renards with LOR is to purchase another LOR dongle, config that new dongle to universe 2 in Network settings, and than run all your renards on that dongle. Do not mix LOR and Renards on the same "daisy chain" out in your yard, can be done, but very tricky. Don't forget, you will need to make a cross-over cable from the dongle to your first Renard to switch the DMX signal to the proper pins. If you need the pin layout, reply, and I'll post a link to it later.

Chuck

If it is the link to the Renard Wiki, I have read that. On another site, someone said they use a 1.31 bridge, but I believe switching the pins on the cat5 is what the bridge does. If I put dmx in the channel config. and start at # 1, how should it be set up as far as daisy chaining in the yard? If that makes any sense.

Guest wbottomley

Your Renard controllers will need to be loaded with DMX firmware to use in a DMX state. If not, a bridge is required that can supply the Renards with their language. RPM's bridge does that very thing.

If not, a bridge is required that can supply the Renards with their language. RPM's bridge does that very thing.

William, as far as I am aware, and I could be wrong, RPM's bridge does NOT supply DMX code to the Renard. You still need to flash the Pic with DMX even if you use his bridge. The bridge just acts as a conduit from 1.31 to DMX (either Renard pin-out or standard pin-out)

how should it be set up as far as daisy chaining in the yard? If that makes any sense.

Once you have made the crossover cable to the first board (that's using DMX), normal pinout for any CAT5 will work.

best and easiest way to use renard with LOR is to run a second dongle and make adapters for the renard board to go from the circle to rj45

Guest wbottomley

William, as far as I am aware, and I could be wrong, RPM's bridge does NOT supply DMX code to the Renard. You still need to flash the Pic with DMX even if you use his bridge. The bridge just acts as a conduit from 1.31 to DMX (either Renard pin-out or standard pin-out)

%$#@ That's right. What am I thinking.

• 4 weeks later...

I am updating to S3 so I can run the second dongle. Other than flashing the PIC's to DMX and switching the pinout, are there any more suggestions as to what I need to do to make this as easy as possible? Thanks, Kevin

Remember, you need S3 ADVANCED to run DMX. I don't know what level you currently have, but a simple license renewal won't do it if you don't have advanced.

I am running renard and LOR together and what I did was load the dmx firmware onto the renard boards and then I just run them the same way I would run LOR controllers with small crossover adapters in the controllers.

• The topic was locked