Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Early Bird Sale

Guest guest

roadnut wrote:

And finally, the testing. All seemed to go well. Tested a few of the channels...for some reason, Channel 2 wasn't twinking correctly. It was more like a blink, and it was on way more than off. Checked another light strand, and same thing. Closed the hardware utility, reopened it, and suddenly it worked fine. Who knows...

So anyway, that's my beginner experience to y'all for putting together a controller. I love listening to the experts, which I admire many of you for, and you have all been a huge help when needed. Maybe someday, I'll get around to playing with a solder gun and actually building one of these, piece by piece!!!

Jeff,

Thanks for all the info. It has been enlightening to here your experiences and many others. This information has been very helpful.

Michael B

If I remeber corrctly the sale will start in the end of May or Early June.

I have no Idea when it will end but last year the sale lasted about a month.

Ricky

bert-nc wrote:

when will the regular sale start, and last for how long?

Dan has not made this information public.

Last years sale started around the end of May. Past performance is not a guarantee of future results.

well... I spent more than I planned on but I ended up gettina new computer module, crank shaft sensor, and timing chain for my jeep instead of the controllers I was planning on.

guess I have to wait for next months sale :(

I ordered 4 more controllers for this years display. They should be here tomorrow, so I am getting excited. I have to make the boxes for them to go into, but that is the easy part.

DownTown wrote:

People like me, with a little knowledge and a gung-ho attitude, see that picture, and a minute later read the little graphic, and have to pull out the bracket...

DT,

You're talking about the CTB16PC, right? I know what you mean but I've found that if you completely assemble the wiring into the case that the final assembly goes EASIER. (Admittedly, you shouldn't try this on the FIRST one you build, but once you know the spacing...)

I have my wife do the wiring part as I'm soldering the board and then plug in the AC inputs to test the unit. Once I see that it's OK I mount the heat sinks and screw the board down and plug in the channel wires.

Am I misunderstanding something? Why would you need to pull out the bracket?

I imagine that you could assembl the wiring with the strain reliefe bracket mounted in the box, but it is much easier to assemble the wiring with the bracket out of the box.

D.T.

DT,

I see what you're saying now. I think I'm doing pretty much the same thing. The wiring "harness" is assembled out of the box. First I run the wires through the rubber grommets, then the strain reliefs. Once they're all in, I tighten the strain reliefs and attach all the grounds to the ground plate.

I do, however, prefer to screw in the ground plate before attaching the channel wires because it gets tight to get the screws down through the wires once they are attached.

Either way, it's not hard to insert the board with/without the ground plate already attached.

I guess I've been out of the loop too long. A LOR sale going two weeks and I just stumbled across it.

So, what did I order?

Pretty simple, one 16 channel PC controller, already assembled. Sure, I could build it myself, but that would take a couple hours and I'm doomed with bad luck anyway. The extra $15 is worth it to have it come working. This particular unit looks to be the best bang for the buck.

I already have the enclosure, crimp terminals, and the wire. In fact, this unit will save me several hundred ft. of extention cord since I will now have a brain on that side of the yard and not have to run it from the (now middle) controller. I figure this unit will draw 5 or so amps total with no channel running more than 0.5 A, thus going to try the low power heat sink which will mount to a metal mouting plate in the enclosure. I really like the idea of these new PC products.

This brings the final inventory to run 2007: 48 LOR, 40 DIO, 8 DC, 21 (traffic light controller), 8 (train), - and a partridge in a pear tree, but who's counting?

Just got my 3 new Lor boards hooked up yesterday. We had a mini garage Christmas light show last night. It was awesome. LOR is a great product. We used other controllers to animate the display, but with the lor this year will help the display go over the top. Nobody in our area has never seen a music display. Last year with our display was the first to even to animate in our area.:waycool:

Thank you again LOR staff and Planetchristmas chatroom for all the help with our display.:]

My 4 controllers arrived yesterday. I also got the assembled kits since they were so cheap. Last year I didn't fair so well with my assemblies and had to send them in to be fixed. Of course Dan hooked me right up and got them working. Ready to get back to Christmas!!!!

Wow! I ordered 3 controllers on Monday morning (yesterday), and by Tuesday afternoon (today) they were on my doorstep! What service! I ordered the assembled cards so I just have to assemble the boxes. Can't wait!

Sally