Light-O-Rama Forums

Can't control lights without all networks connected

Val Bennett

My sequences use three networks. While testing some new controllers - one at a time, with only one network connected - with one of these sequences; the sequencer would not advance, the lights would not respond, but the music would play. If I chose to not control the lights from the menu, everything works fine including the visualizer. I tried this again using an animated sequence that only had the channels for the controller being tested, and it works fine. I am wondering if all the networks and therefore channels in a given sequence need to be connected in order for the lights to control? Otherwise, maybe the software has become corrupted. Anyone have an answer?

My sequences use three networks. While testing some new controllers - one at a time, with only one network connected - with one of these sequences; the sequencer would not advance, the lights would not respond, but the music would play. If I chose to not control the lights from the menu, everything works fine including the visualizer. I tried this again using an animated sequence that only had the channels for the controller being tested, and it works fine. I am wondering if all the networks and therefore channels in a given sequence need to be connected in order for the lights to control? Otherwise, maybe the software has become corrupted. Anyone have an answer?

When you have control software checked, the program tries to send the sequenced commands down the configured com ports. If you have 2 of your 3 networks not plugged in, those com ports don't exist to windows. So when LOR tries to send the commands, the system calls to do it hang... If you don't have the com ports plugged in, you need to remove them from the network config in order for play lights to behave well.

You can try making a suggestion to wishlist@lightorama.com if you would like them to try and make it play better with configured, but disconnected adapters. I'm not sure exactly what the right solution looks like. An intermediate solution might be a checkbox for each network in the configuration to disable the network, without deconfiguring it. This would at least make it easier to go back and forth.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I was having this problem.

What I found was, when I was playing a test sequence from the Sequencer window, nothing was lighting up.

Configuration looked fine. Triple checked.

Turns out, when I'd click the Play icon (and it played with no lights flashing), it was "unchecking" the Control Lights selection.

While still playing, you can check the Control Lights in the Play menu and it will start playing (once it loops back to the beginning).

This was all because I had read that you MUST have an LOR RS485 adapter in the list of devices. So I put one there. But I didn't actually connect one; just faked it.

That was enough to turn off the Control Lights checkmark.

I removed the LOR RS485 adapter from Network Preferences. It now stays checked.

ps - I have 3 devices in the DMX list.

Universes 1 thru 4 are Multicast to a Lynx Etherdongle flashed for DMX

Universe 5 is a Lynx USB Dongle flashed to Pixelnet

Universes 6 thru 9 are Unicast to a J1Sys ECG-DR4

This probably won't be my final config. I don't need 17 universes for my show. :)

Edited by JonB256