Light-O-Rama Forums

purchasing CAT5 cables from LOR

callycoon

I have a question regarding the CAT 5 cables that are sold on LOR's website. What does the term bootless refer too. Do these cables require additional assembly after recieving them or are they ready to use.

Thanks,

Chris

A boot on a Cat5 cable is the plastic "hood" that goes around the connector (kind of like the "boot" around the base of a stick shift in a car). It supposedly protects the connector from the "elements" -- dirt, debris, and/or spilt coffee on a long night of sequencing. :blink:

The problems are:

1) the female connectors on the LOR circuit board have little room around them. The boot makes it even tighter, so unplugging the cable can be a little more difficult.

2) the lands (circuit board traces) to the female connector on the LOR circuit board can be a bit fragile. The boot around the male connector makes it a little difficult to hold the release tab down when unplugging the connector. In some cases this has been known to cause the female connector to break free from the board, ripping up the lands as it goes. I haven't had this happen, but others have. It is best to simply remove the boot from any Cat5 connectors with a utility knife.

Check this link for proof positive:

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/22216-broken-cat5-ports/

Edited by Cray Augsburg

I buy cables from a company in Florda which usually has the best prices that I've seen. pccables.com I bought a pile of CAT6 as they have more shielding but they're designed for TCIP comm as opposed to RS485 but that's what LOR went with, probably to help save us money! Actual RS485 cables are twisted pairs and shielded and I think CAT5/6 is a bit different but a whole lot cheaper. As long as it works, who cares.

The primary advantage of cables with the boot is that you can pull a cable through a wiring mess (common in large LAN closets) without the tab getting caught on some cable and breaking off. It generally does make it harder to unplug the connector. I never use booted connectors and usually remove the boot if I happen across cables that have them.

A boot on a Cat5 cable is the plastic "hood" that goes around the connector (kind of like the "boot" around the base of a stick shift in a car). It supposedly protects the connector from the "elements" -- dirt, debris, and/or spilt coffee on a long night of sequencing. :blink:

Your joking right Cray?

The boot has only one purpose and it is to protect the locking tab. Ok two purposes. Second one is part of the first reason. But it is to make it easier to pull the cable back. And if the locking tab is not getting hooked, it is easier to pull back without getting snagged and breaking off the locking tab. The boot does not cover the connector contacts. It does not make a seal between the cable and jack.

Your joking right Cray?

The boot has only one purpose and it is to protect the locking tab. Ok two purposes. Second one is part of the first reason. But it is to make it easier to pull the cable back. And if the locking tab is not getting hooked, it is easier to pull back without getting snagged and breaking off the locking tab. The boot does not cover the connector contacts. It does not make a seal between the cable and jack.

OK. Who knows what I was thinking that morning? It was early! :huh:

Of course you are correct, MP. Tho, the bottom line is, I always remove the boots on premade cables anyway. Usually, I make my own cables, thus dispensing with the need to remove the boot.

Thanks for the catch.