Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Testing

ceharger

I am new at DMX. Have started this year to add it to my display. I know I need the LOR dongle to run any dmx from LOR. Testing dmx with xlights is another option for running sequences, only when testing my RGB light blink at a very fast rate, I increase the timing in the lor sequence but that did nothing.

Any one else have the same problem or know the answer

Thanks for any input.

charles.

First off, I am running the latest version of LOR, according to several post on this forum, LOR has made the software required their dmx dongle a requirement to run DMX. if that is not correct, I have not been able to do any testing with LOR and would like to know what the fix is.

Back to my original post. Testing my RGB DMX lights with Xlights using a Holiday Coro Controller. The lights only blink/flash very quickly when running the test sequence. Each color is set for 5 seconds, What is the fix??

First, LOR does not require the LOR DMX dongle. You can use the LOR 485 USB adapter or the EntTec adapter or several others. I use the EntTec Pro DMX adapter. If you use the LOR adapter, it uses non-standard pins to output DMX. The Holiday Coro Controller will run a test mode if it doesn't see a DMX signal. And the signal is polarized so you have to have the wires correct. I would suspect you do not have everything wired correctly and it is running the RGB modules in a test mode. You will get a test pattern from the controller if it is wired to the RGB modules, has power but does not "see" a DMX signal. That is why XLights looks like it isn't working. There is a ton of documentation on this forum on how to set up DMX and there is an Australian Forum with a manual on the subject that is excellent. I would suggest looking and reading if you haven't already. I think your biggest issue is correct wiring and/or componants. DMX wasn't simple for me and I have worked with electronics for over 40 years. Had to read, study and test a lot.

1) don't define a LOR network unless you actually have one plugged in.

2) for lights from sequence editor, control panel must be running, but shows disabled.

3) the LOR com listener program (launched by the control panel) must be running.

4) unless it has recently been fixed, the drivers for the usb485 must be installed.

Those are the top 4 issues I have seen here.

• Like 1

First off, I am running the latest version of LOR, according to several post on this forum, LOR has made the software required their dmx dongle a requirement to run DMX. if that is not correct, I have not been able to do any testing with LOR and would like to know what the fix is.

Back to my original post. Testing my RGB DMX lights with Xlights using a Holiday Coro Controller. The lights only blink/flash very quickly when running the test sequence. Each color is set for 5 seconds, What is the fix??

Unplug the whatever DMX cable u have connected to the 3 channel dmx decoder, i am assuming that is what u r refering to as HolIday Coro controller. If the lights still do the same thing, then you have a lack of DMX signal issue. Each one of those controllers must see a MX input or they run in a defaulted pre-programmed state.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same proplem with my HC controller. Lights would flash fast like morse code,I fought it for about a week,Finally figure out it was a bad connection in the dongle I got from them

• The topic was locked