Light-O-Rama Forums

CMB16D-QC Operating A Relay

OurMikeyRocks

Has anyone used a CMB16D-QC channel to operate a 12VDC relay? I want to use this to operate a relay which will, in turn, turn an inductive load on and off. I'm wondering if the relay coil will cause any harm to the CMB16D-QC channel. Thanks Mikey

I have not tried it, but it should work fine. I would HIGHLY suggest putting a snubber diode across the relay coil just as you would for any time a relay coil is controlled by a transistor of any variety.

I have not tried it, but it should work fine. I would HIGHLY suggest putting a snubber diode across the relay coil just as you would for any time a relay coil is controlled by a transistor of any variety.

On a number of my light sets I use a series of 12V relays to change the light configurations. On the megatree, one DC channel (CMB16) switches 12 relays in parallel for each colour. I have a snubber diode across the channel output to bypass the back emf voltages when the relays are turned off. I have been running with this setup for 2 years without any problems. My relays are 12V coil and draw ~20mA each.

I totally agree with the above post. Should be able to go to a Radio Shack and ask for a 1N4002 diode. Do not use a 1N914 this is just a wee bit to light and might be burnt out in short time. And the way I remember it. Put the banded end on the lead that will go to the positive terminal.

Edited by Max-Paul

If you have DMX as part of your show, you could also look into a DMX Relay board, something like this: http://www.newark.com/milford-instruments/1d493/dmx-relay-board/dp/39K0582?Ntt=DMX+Relay or http://www.allspectrum.com/store/dmx-controlled-relay-switch-kit-p-1537.html?gclid=CJXzhaf5oLICFYSo4Aod6gsA4g

They do come in different configurations between 1 and 8 channels, work nice and in tests I have run them on 1/2 second impulses right out of S3...