Light-O-Rama Forums

Power Feed

Jay Czerwinski

Recently there was a forum topic that was closed, but I was doing research on it and wanted to post something there -- It seems this is the way to ask my question to get my answer as opposed to petitioning to re-open the prior topic. I appologize in advance if this was the wrong way to go about it - I'll take advice on how to re-do this post or how to do things next time. Thank you.

LOR Admin closed the topic with the following:

As noted by a forum user above NEC 210.8(A)(3) requires ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for dwelling unit outdoor 15A and 20A 125V receptacles. Only exceptions are receptacles that are not readily accessible and are supplied by a dedicated branch circuit for electric snow-melting or deicing equipment (instead permitted to be installed in accordance with NEC 426.28)

The GFCI issue will always be one that people disagree with. However, the National Electric Code requires them for outdoor use.

No one here here can tell you how you should electrically power your display. What you choose to do on your property, with your lights and your electricity is a decision you make. However, please note that the NEC requires them on outdoor receptacles. While I am not a lawyer, nor am I offering any sort of legal advise, ignoring the NEC in this situation might not be advisable.

My question would be -- Does this device meet the requirement (or at least provide the safety needed)?

6d09db75-8750-4aa0-a995-556b8c634743_300.jpg

15 Amp 120-Volt Portable GFCI Plug with Surge Protector

I think I made the image clickable for more details.

It seems a few of these for a small/medium show might be a cost effective solution over having a sub-panel or extra breakers installed with extra receptacles.

Also, How would GFCI work with SPT-1 wired setups? Do you need to use the third prong to get the safety benefits of GFCI?

Edited by Jay Czerwinski

Yes they would provide the needed safety since they would provide protection from any leakage of current. I am unsure if they would technically meet code since they aren't permanently installed (but for our purposes the safety issue is all that matters). You are right, they would provide an easy solution, plus these also have surge protection which is a separate issue (adds some protection for equipment).

FYI, converting an standard outlet to a GFCI outlet doesn't require having a sub-panel or extra breakers installed (since you mention that). It just entails changing the outlet--an "easy" 5-10 minute job but ONLY if you feel comfortable working with electricity (turning it off properly and wiring the outlet properly). http://www.ehow.com/how_5887460_convert-outlet-gfi.html

GFCI doesn't rely on the "third prong" (ground). Rather than explain how a GFCI works, here is a simple short explanation of how they work: http://home.howstuffworks.com/question117.htm

Only one thing I'll add.

An electrician I work with said

"When replacing your regular outlet with a GFCI, use the screw terminals for your wires and not the pop in holes. The pop-in holes are the easy way but i've seen them spark from time to time. Also if you have a 20amp outlet now,use a 20amp GFCI."

Other than that, what surfing4dough said is spot on. In my job, safety is #1priority

Edited by Ron Boyd

One difference between a wired GFCI outlet and a Portable GFCI Plug is the Portable plug will trip when power is lost (even briefly). This could be a concern if your supply is prone to frequent power outages.

Speaking of missing ground lead: IIUC, it is allowed under code to have an outdoor GFCI outlet with the ground pin not connected, if it as labeled as such. This would happen when retrofitting an older (pre-1970) house.

Thank you guys - I appreciate the professional and on topic replies.

Surfing - I'll look in to a permenant outlet solution and learn more from your links.

Ron - Good advice, and thanks for further support to Surfing's feedback

Steven - Thanks for your feedback that validates the review on the Home Depot page, and your comment further supports Surfing's post that I can just instal a permenant outlet instead of portable.

Good Stuff.