Light-O-Rama Forums

S3 question-making lights do 2 different things

shakeonit

Can you have something on a channel stay on statically (like a sign) during the whole show regardless of if a song is playing; then use that element (sign) in a specific song and have it blink or shimmer, then go back to its default static assignment?

Clear as mud?

If you mean what I'm reading, just put the sign on a channel or channels and in each sequence, make that channel/s all on. (right click, select row, select on). On the songs you want it to blink and flash, sequence it in with the song. Of course, this would take up one of your channels. I'm doing a RGB sign that way this year.

I hope I got the gist of what you were asking.

Not quite, I want it on outside of song sequencing. So when I'm doing announcements, and in between songs, and just anytime the lights are on.

What I'm trying to avoid is the sign going out at anytime during the show. As well I don't want to have to account for it during any song, sequence, or announcement. However, when I do want it to blink during a certain portion of the song, I want to be able to control that, and of course I want all this and my cake too. So I figured I would ask if anyone knows how?

Yes -

You need to put your sign channel or channels in the background section of your show. Those channels will stay on as long as your show is playing. Make sure the channels that are used in the background ARE NOT used in any of the sequences of your show.

D.T.

Well that's where my question comes in then. I understand what you are saying about the background, even though I have never done it, I understand how it would work. However, is there a way then to access that channel during my song and give it an effect like shimmer when it hits certain parts of songs that I want to draw attention to that sign.

If not, that's ok, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a shortcut or way to do it.

I use the Background section of the show to control my sign lights. I do not include those channels in other sequences, as lots of other folks smarter than me have said that this will cause undesirable and unpredictable behavior in that channel. Essentially, you'll have 2 sequences "fighting" for control of the single channel. One sequence will be the one loaded into the Background section. The other will be the one that is controlling the main part of the show.

Again - I've never tried it, but the veterans here have warned against it.

To do what you want to do, the best way I know of has been suggested. Include your sign as part of the musical (or animation) sequence. If you don't want it to flash off and then back on in between songs, uncheck the box that has the lights turn off at the end of each sequence. Note that this means you'll need to make sure you turn anything else off at the end of each sequence.

Another suggestion...is this...Make a short Animation Sequence with just the sign channel(s) turned on that you can insert between musical sequences. That way you can have it on when no actual music is running, and also manipulate it for the desired effects during the song.