Light-O-Rama Forums

How long cat5 run?

James Shelby

I need to run 400' to my first controller on a network, can that be done? I'm running a powered usb hub with three networks and a powered RS485 adapter. On my "C" network I'm running 250' to the first controller with 27 controllers over 650' total run. I would like to take one run to 13 of those controllers but to the first controller it's 400'.

First question back to you, Are you using a PC or minidirector? It looks as if you are using a pc from your wording. If I remember correctly you need to be within 100 ft from the pc to the first controller. But that is also with a non powered RS485 adaptor. I would have to look it up for the powered one.

Edited by jldavis1969

It's a PC. I have been running this way with few problems for 4 years. Last year I added 47m ohm resistors to those 208 channels and it looked amazing for the first time. So I was thinking, now that I have the wire, to split those controllers off to a network by themselves. They are in the middle of a run with 27 controllers so now I would have two networks with 13 in the one and 14 in the other.

Cat 5 is limited to 100'. Anything over that you'll need to boost the signal. Honestly, 400ft, I would buy the easy linker and not worry about it.

The 100 foot limit is only if you are using the SC485 adapter.

I have one run for the last 4 years that the first run from the PC is over 200 feet, with zero issues. And since it has over 20 controllers on it, I would probably notice if it was an issue. This last year, I also had one closer to 300 feet. Realistically you run into the total diaisy chain limit as your first controller run limit...

The light linkers won't work in this setting. The controllers are on a bridge with hundreds of people on it and I can't let the lights go dark for safety. So I hard wire everything just to make sure I don't have problems. Most of my three runs are over 250' all ran in underground conduit and like I stated I've had no problems with the powered usb hub and the RS485 boosters. I was running new wire this year and I was thinking of that one long run, if I could make it work.

The light linkers won't work in this setting. The controllers are on a bridge with hundreds of people on it and I can't let the lights go dark for safety. So I hard wire everything just to make sure I don't have problems. Most of my three runs are over 250' all ran in underground conduit and like I stated I've had no problems with the powered usb hub and the RS485 boosters. I was running new wire this year and I was thinking of that one long run, if I could make it work.

I think the longer run should be fine. The only limits are the total lenght of the total cable runs on one network, if you are not using the accessory power. The 100 foot is only if you are using the accessory power for a SC485 or something like that. I think you should have zero issues.

Thanks for the info I have always been able to count on you guys for help when I've needed it. I've been working on it all morning and that long run is almost 500'.

I tried a cable over 100 feet to my first controller using a USB485 and it would not work for me. If I put a signal booster in line would I be able to go over 100 feet on my first run. I have gone over 100 feet after the first without issues.

Hopefully this will work, since I am not familiar with how to attach a JPG screen shot.

But if this works, this was taken directly from the RS485 manual.

Hope this shows up large enough to read, if not, go here and read the manual where it gives the maximum length of Cat5 from the converter to the controller.

http://www.lightoram...ers_Man_Web.pdf

The info can be found on page 7 of the manual.