Light-O-Rama Forums

Too many lights for four networks?

Val Bennett

We just ordered 12 of the CCB sets, which I understand is equivalent to 24 CCR's as far as the number of channels is concerned. We already have 10 CCR's and 14 each of the 16-channel controllers. Am I going to regret this purchase? Unless the networking limitations have changed recently, I think I will have to run either the CCR's and regular controllers - or - the 12 CCB sets, but not both at the same time unless there isn't much fast lighting action.

Looks like you will have to wait for LORs fast speed distributor, which is a similar device to an E1.31 to DMX converter, but this is so you can get multiple LOR networks out. Not sure whats happened with the progress of this.

Or else its a matter of using a heap of USB adaptors to distribute your networks.

My guess is that it will be too much for 4 networks, you can always add more networks. I ran 14 or 15 usb adapters (12 were Enttec Pro for DMX) last year. The biggest thing to remember is to plug them in one at a time, let the computer detect it, label it, then do the next..

I was under the impression that Light-O-Rama software could only support 4 networks at a time. If this is not true, then I will gladly buy some more adapters and have a total of 8 networks. Does the E1.31 and Enttec Pro plug right into the computer, and act as a substitute for an adapter?

Thank you both for your inputs - and congrats to heystew on winning the LOR grand prize!

Val

Thanks Val,

As of v2.9.4 (i had to look that up..) LOR supports up to 16 networks. That is traditional LOR networks using a 485 adapter to drive controllers, CCR's, CCB's, etc. Beyond that you can plug in Enttec Pro's or similar (USB just like a 485 adapter) to drive DMX devices.

On top all of that, you can now drive E1.31 which is output over your computers ethernet adapter. E1.31 requires no extra hardware/dongle on the computer (assuming you have a network card), however you need to have E1.31 devices connected to the network to control pixels, etc (devices like the SanDevices E682 or J1SYS ECG-P2)

Hope that clears it up more than confuses things...

dave

Well if I can have up to 16 networks, and 6 CCRs/CCB's per network, I should be o.k. I think we will run out of money before I get a chance to expand it beyond 16 networks! I'm afraid I'll have to leave the really big shows to you pros. I am planning to keep your information on file though, just in case I come across more money and ambition.

Thanks again -

Val