Light-O-Rama Forums

Software or Computer Issues?

Mark J. M.

I have been having a few problems come up while sequencing songs. First issue is running S3 at 1/4 speed. The software will work fine at that rate for awhile but if it continue to use that speed, the playback will become strange. It will be faster than 1/4 speed but not full or 1/2 speed either. Sometimes it is slower than full speed but not 1/4 speed sometimes faster than full speed. This occurs when I use play selection to find a beat or other point in a song. I do not think it is a computer issue since the sound card on the computer does not have issues with other programs that I use at slower than normal speed. But I am not sure.

A second issue also involves finding a point in a song. If I am looking to start an effect at a certain beat/sound in the song and I use play selection at any speed, two possibilities occur. If I make a selection that already includes the sound, and try to go back to the beginning of the sound, the result will be different than if I start with a selection without the sound and go forward. The timings in are not the same. By waveform, I think the one going forward is the correct timing.

Lastly, when I try to advance the screen one timing at a time by using the cursor keys, the program always skips forward more than one timing. However, if I want to go backwards, I can move one timing at a time.

I am using a Dell Core i5 2.4 Ghz laptop with 6 GB of memory and Windows 7 64 bit. The sound card is an IDT High Definition Audio CODEC, the standard card for this computer.

I cannot correct the last two issues but the first one is resolved if I exit 1/4 speed and play the selection at full speed, then return to 1/4 speed.

None of these prevents accurate sequencing but are more af an annoyance. Thank you for any help you can provide.

What kind of audio file are you using? If mp3, is it a constant bit rate (LOR prefers 128) or is it a variable bit rate? If variable, you need to convert it to constant using an audio converter program.

• Like 1

I have had this happen to me a lot when using 1/4 speed. I have found that saving the file closing then opening LOR fixes the problem for a while then restarts after using 1/4 speed for a number of times (same sequencing sessions). seems to have something like memory leak?

Thanks, sorry I forgot to include that detail. All of the audio files I use are 128 constant bit rate mp3s. Converted using audiology. I will try converting these to wav files and see if I still have audio issues.