Light-O-Rama Forums

Lor running on pure sine wave inverter

chris waller

We are going green this year anyone know if the lor controllers are going to play nice with a outback inverter it's pure sine wave just like house power but ran off battey banks charged by solar ill have a total of 60 amps @120v for 8 hours

The odds are probably pretty good, but you will need to test. The two issues may be frequency stability, and if the inverter has any imbalance in reactance and inductance in the output. Also, it may be more sensitive to the issues of LED strings with their parasitic capacitance, and non linear current draw.

My advise is to test. And if it does not work right at first with LED lighting, add some resistive, or incandescent load to see if that stabilizes things...

Guess I'll load up some lights and take them to work and test in the job site trailer being that is where the system is it curently has a chest freezer running in it and we ran a band off it so amps lights dmx controlled lights and it worked well

Our car club participates in a couple of Christmas parades each season and I was wondering if a controller could be run off an inverter and using LED's? Anyone ever try this? No clue what the minimum power requirement and if it would run or not. Its just a wild thought and no plan on doing it...just curious.

Has it been successfully done before, yes. Does it always work, no.

A small scale test will tell you something about your odds, but until you go full scale, you never know.

Guest Don Gillespie

We are going green this year anyone know if the lor controllers are going to play nice with a outback inverter it's pure sine wave just like house power but ran off battey banks charged by solar ill have a total of 60 amps @120v for 8 hours

I like this idea, please keep us updated as how everything went so if anyone else is interested in going green they will have a reference to go back on good luck

Tests went well house on Christmas street 96 channels all worked well only hiccup was we need a few more batteries the 12 6v batteries had some issues when surging all channels on and off so more test info to come we have more batteries on order 12 more 6v batteries so we can double the batterie amperage

you mentioned outback power if you are refering to Outback power systems inverters ,yes they do the job i work for a Sheriff's office here as a comm. tech and we use Outback power inverters for our Swat robot to charge it's batteries with solar power , and i must say they work perfectly

Edited by Godney