Light-O-Rama Forums

Dmx Setup For American Dj Fogstorm

storminstang06

I have done a lot of research on LOR with DMX and have even contacted LOR with questions, but there are so many ways to setup DMX, that I don't know which I should be using. I am not new to LOR, but am wanting to add my American DJ Fogstorm fogger this year, and rgbs eventually. This fogger is capable of DMX. I know there are a lot of fogger threads, but none of them have fully answered my questions.

Can the Gen3 controllers operate this with eCAT5 and a 3-pin adapter so the fogger would be connected to the LOR network, or must the gen3 be DMX only or LOR only?

Can the DIO32 card (without daughter cards) operate this? How would this card be connected to a pc and the fogger? (what adapters are needed)

I think this fog machine has a built-in controller so I don't think it needs a DMX controller, however I know it still needs an adapter. I found this at holiday coro... will it talk to a fogger or just rgbs? http://www.holidaycoro.com/product-p/54-2.htm I don't want to use the idmx, but rather enttec or the like. Can enttec or another rj45 replace the idmx? Would anything be needed if I use a gen3?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Guest wbottomley

I have done a lot of research on LOR with DMX and have even contacted LOR with questions, but there are so many ways to setup DMX, that I don't know which I should be using. I am not new to LOR, but am wanting to add my American DJ Fogstorm fogger this year, and rgbs eventually. This fogger is capable of DMX. I know there are a lot of fogger threads, but none of them have fully answered my questions.

Can the Gen3 controllers operate this with eCAT5 and a 3-pin adapter so the fogger would be connected to the LOR network, or must the gen3 be DMX only or LOR only?

Can the DIO32 card (without daughter cards) operate this? How would this card be connected to a pc and the fogger? (what adapters are needed)

I think this fog machine has a built-in controller so I don't think it needs a DMX controller, however I know it still needs an adapter. I found this at holiday coro... will it talk to a fogger or just rgbs? http://www.holidayco...duct-p/54-2.htm I don't want to use the idmx, but rather enttec or the like. Can enttec or another rj45 replace the idmx? Would anything be needed if I use a gen3?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

All of the above will not work.

You need a DMX adapter or a E1.31 to DMX adapter to run a DMX signal to the fogger. AC controllers just won't cut it here.

If you want your LOR controllers to work with the fogger in the single network they must be run in DMX mode and you must have a LOR to DMX crossover cable between the controllers and the fogger because of different wiring standards.

Simple.

Reliable.

Cheap.

Pick any two. This is where you're at right now.

There's supposed to be a stripped down model of the iDMX to be announced sometime (?) this year.

Dan Baldwin mentioned this quite a few posts ago. Maybe it's worth waiting for.

Simple.

Reliable.

Cheap.

Pick any two. This is where you're at right now.

There's supposed to be a stripped down model of the iDMX to be announced sometime (?) this year.

Dan Baldwin mentioned this quite a few posts ago. Maybe it's worth waiting for.

Dan mentioned a DMX dongle at the show last year (to replace IDMX), it was due out in a couple of months from then. Not much info since then , I wouldn't wait for it. With E1.31 now supported, look into Joshua1, Enntec, San Devices etc. DON'T wait for something that is possible, last year was a good example. When it is out but it, but don't put stock into what MAY be.

OK, I am confused on this as well. If the fogger is DMX and LOR supports native DMX, why the need for a crossover cable?

OK, I am confused on this as well. If the fogger is DMX and LOR supports native DMX, why the need for a crossover cable?

LOR uses (I think) Pins 1 & 2 to transmit DMX. True Native DMX uses (I think) pins 4 & 5 to transmit DMX. So you need a crossover cable to switch the LOR Dongle's output to the pins that a true DMS device is looking to receive signal on.

If you are using LOR iDMX device, I do not think you need a crossover.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one confused about this and hopefully this thread will answer the questions of those as confused as I am!

I do remember reading something about needing a crossover between the LOR network and a DMX Universe. So..... I found one that Seasonal Entertainment makes (link below) ..... would this be connected to a LOR controller in either normal or dmx mode? Or.... could it be hooked up to a second rj45, which I guess would also need something like enntec, etc? Am I at least on the right track here??

http://www.seasonalentertainmentllc.com/store/en/adapters/107-lor-dmx-adapter.html

LOR uses (I think) Pins 1 & 2 to transmit DMX. True Native DMX uses (I think) pins 4 & 5 to transmit DMX.

That's backwards. LOR controllers and RS485 dongles use pins 4 & 5, with 6 as ground. The DMX RJ45 standard is pins 1 & 2, with pin 7 ground.

If you are using LOR iDMX device, I do not think you need a crossover.

Correct, but the iDMX uses an XLR socket for DMX, not an RJ45 socket.

• 2 months later...

So I went and got me a dmx dongle and it arrived today. I hooked it up and it installed, connected it to the fogger and it does not respond. I am not sure where the problem is since the fogger's directions are no help. I don't know if the fogger is even in dmx mode, but it is not spitting any juice out unless I press the 'manual fog' or 'dmx manual' on the timer remote or the fog button on the actual machine. I connected the female xlr to the remote's dmx in port. The dip switches is set for 2 because I can't reach 1 and LOR channel says Universe 1 channel 2. The dongle is from dmxking, supposed to work like enttec pro and LOR is listed as compatible. Comm Listener says connection accepted <344>, then 'connection closed while reading msg header' I have tried different intensity levels in the sequencer. The only other thing is I don't have a stopper on the output.

Any ideas? Thanks!

• The topic was locked