Light-O-Rama Forums

Easy Light Linkers And Raw Dmx

jimbucks227

Is it possible to use Easy Light Linkers within a DMX universe if you are running S3 and using the LOR RS485B adapter? Maybe something like this:

LOR RS485B -> ELL Transmitter -> ELL Receiver -> LOR-DMX CrossOver Cable -> whatever comes next...

This DMX stuff is all very new to me and I am trying to make sense of it all.

Thanks!

Jim

Edited by jimbucks227

Unfortunately no. The LOR network is way to slow so the light linkers do not transmit fast enough.

Greg

Thanks for this information as I was looking at DMX stuff for next year and I use Light linkers. Knowing this I have an additional question that I think I know the answer to but might help others and will also confirm my thoughts.

With above information the same with the exception of using light linkers. can a CAT5 cable be plugged into the second port on the USB RS 485B then go directly into the DMX stuff? and still run lights with same light linker setup?

No. The DMX runs at 256Kbps. The fastest LOR currently supports is about half that. The fastest the current ELL runs is 56Kbps, and the lines in must match the wireless speed.

However, for both questions, you could run PC -> ELL ~~ ELL -> iDMX -> DMX devices

or

PC -> ELL ~~ ELL -> LOR Devices -> iDMX -> DMX devices

Yes, the easiest way is two run two networks...DMX and LOR networks. Both can be run wirelessly with different wireless devices. Contact me directly if you need help...I can point you in the right direction.

Greg

• 3 months later...

No. The DMX runs at 256Kbps. The fastest LOR currently supports is about half that. The fastest the current ELL runs is 56Kbps, and the lines in must match the wireless speed.

However, for both questions, you could run PC -> ELL ~~ ELL -> iDMX -> DMX devices

or

PC -> ELL ~~ ELL -> LOR Devices -> iDMX -> DMX devices

So why does the IDMX work ok at 56kbps? I know it only runs 128 smart channels, but why would a 56kbps work?

So why does the IDMX work ok at 56kbps? I know it only runs 128 smart channels, but why would a 56kbps work?

The LOR and DMX protocols are totally different beasts. LOR will send out a single commands when an event happens, such as "Fade this channel from 10 to 80% over the next 5 seconds" or "Turn off channel 9". DMX, on the other hand, sends the status of every channel many times per second.

The advantage of LOR is that you can theoretically have a lot more channels on the same network, and it can run at slower speeds meaning less network issues. The advantage of DMX is you rarely get channels "stuck on" due to missed commands.

Just to expand on, and state in a different way than Tim did, the iDMX is a protocol bridge.

It is receiving LOR command language on one side, and putting out DMX frames on the other side. Since you have a micro controller generating the DMX frames, there is no reason why the there would be any relation between the input and output data rates.

You could think of it like one of the E1.31 to multiple universe DMX bridges, except they pretty much just change the data link and encapsulation, leaving the DMX frames the same before and after. The iDMX is doing more though, in that it has to interpret the LOR commands, and then generate the frames. A single LOR command in, may result in calculating data into hundreds of DMX output frames.

Tim and KLB.. Thanks for the info.. makes perfect sense. I didn't know that the IDMX generated the frames with a processor.

Now the question is If I go to E1.31, what bridge should I get? I see all kinds of stuff that is available.. but I want a simple Bridge to 4-6 universes.

I just bought a SanDevices E682 a couple weeks ago and it's working great in testing so far.

http://www.sandevice...m/products.html

I ordered one this morning..

Yesterday I was at a friends house that does embedded programming for an LED company that I do manufacturing and installations for and they have a 16 wide board that we hooked up to LOR and got the E1.31 to push four of the 16 channels. They may shrink it down to 6 channels one of these days..

• The topic was locked