Light-O-Rama Forums

Standalone System With Mini Director

Saa62

Hi everyone. New to the game and having some issues.

My plan is 3 CTB16PC contollers using mDM-MP3 mini director. Control the other 2 controllers with Easy linkers from the first controller.

Have purchased 3 DIY kits plus the director and FM transmitter and linkers.

I have assembled kit #1. I have hit a few speed bumps and have not yet found a solution. Just wanted to check here and see if what I am doing is possible.

Board #1 had a few bad solders, found those problems. Voltage checks according to the "Troubleshooting Guide" are correct. To the best of my knowledge things are correct. I have a blinking LED on the controller when powered up with nothing connected to the RJ12 or RJ45 jacks. When I hook up the mini director the contoller LED will go solid, and the mini director LED will go solid. Music is playing through the director. But no power coming out of the plugs of the controller.

Since I was planning a standalone system, I did not get adaptors to connect to the computer.

Will PC kits work as standalone with mini director?

Do I need to purchase adaptors to connect to a computer and assign unit numbers?

Will the system I have work together?

I have created a simple show to put on the SD card to test music and all channels. Is there a there test program that can be loaded that is designed to check controllers?

Thanks

Scott

I don't have answers for all your questions but. I have 3 CTB16PC running with FM transmitter and a mini director.

Will PC kits work as standalone with mini director? YES

Do I need to purchase adaptors to connect to a computer and assign unit numbers? Yes you'll need to assign each controller before they will work. This is only my second year so don't recall that pocess off the top of my head.

I have created a simple show to put on the SD card to test music and all channels. Is there a there test program that can be loaded that is designed to check controllers? YES. In the software where you assign the unit you can test all channels (on/off, dimming, etc.)

Someone else will have to comment and help you with where everything is, but you are on the right track and asking the right questions.

You might want to post these questions in the Newbie section. I did when i was first learning and got alot of help.

Good Luck!

Edited by dknahoolewa

Thanks

That is what I needed to know. Did not want to buy an adapter then find out it was not needed.

I was quickly learning that being able to connect to a computer for diagnostics would be very useful even if I was not going to run it with a computer. I have a spare computer I can put in the garage if I need to, just did not want to mess with the extra wiring if I could avoid it.

Thanks again.

Do I need to purchase adaptors to connect to a computer and assign unit numbers?

Will the system I have work together?

Thanks

Scott

Yes to both. My show is entirely PC controllers and a mini-director. Only used the RS485 adapter once per controller just to set the ID, and then it goes back in the box. FYI you can connect (daisy chain) all three controllers to each other with cat5 (no need for wireless linkers, unless you are crossing an area where a single cat5 can't run, such as across a street. Cat5 is a lot cheaper.)

Setting the controller IDs:

http://www.lightoram...l#_Toc124407456

http://www.lightoram...ng_unit_ids.htm

And video demo (go to 5:05 for assigning IDs):

Edited by Surfing4Dough