Light-O-Rama Forums

Lor Dmx Universe Setup - Conversion To Rgb Very Slow

heystew

I'm building up my channel config using LOR 3.5.0 and am experiencing some painful performance issues that I'm trying to figure out if it's a problem with my approach, my machine, or just an inherent performance thing. I don't remember it being this slow previously. (but maybe I was more patient...)

My procedure is as follows:

- New Animation Sequence

- Right Click on last default channel and choose Insert Device > Insert Device Below

- Setup DMX device Universe X with 512 channels - Click OK

- Expand Device

- Right Click on first DMX Channel

- Choose Convert to RGB Channel

- Select "Also do this for the following channels" and enter 170 for the "Create how many channels" and Click OK

This works fine for the first several universes. After about 4 universes the Convert to RGB channel process starts to slow dramatically. At 10 universes I was waiting over 5 minutes for the a new universe to convert to RGB. The insert device process goes fairly quickly, just converstion to RGB seems to be impacted.

My machine isn't a super performance machine but i would think it should handle this.

Processor load at 50% overall, using about 25% on each core.

Memory usage grows with each universe I add, but never seems to explode to anything too large

LOR 3.5.0

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3.0 GHz)

4 GB memory

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

thoughts or suggestions? or others with differing observations?

What have others experienced with newer processors with 4 or 6 CPU's? Does LOR take advantage of them and benefit from the multiple cores, or is the speed of each core more important.

dave

Im finding that pasting many channels over and over are eating up memory unless I save often, which im getting into the habit of. I can drop in a few univereses at a time without my system slowing down but when I start to move forward more with clipboards and moving thousands of channels at a time its slowing or crashing. Try saving after each universe you add and see what that does. I dont know if its a memory issue in the software, or just how it uses it. I know some of my sequences are reaching a few hundred meg now, those can take up to 10 minutes to open.

I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about RGB and DMX stuff..but would it be possible to do something like in Superstar and run a sub-sequence ( or several) so you have smaller files?

I'm building up my channel config using LOR 3.5.0 and am experiencing some painful performance issues that I'm trying to figure out if it's a problem with my approach, my machine, or just an inherent performance thing. I don't remember it being this slow previously. (but maybe I was more patient...)

My procedure is as follows:

- New Animation Sequence

- Right Click on last default channel and choose Insert Device > Insert Device Below

- Setup DMX device Universe X with 512 channels - Click OK

- Expand Device

- Right Click on first DMX Channel

- Choose Convert to RGB Channel

- Select "Also do this for the following channels" and enter 170 for the "Create how many channels" and Click OK

This works fine for the first several universes. After about 4 universes the Convert to RGB channel process starts to slow dramatically. At 10 universes I was waiting over 5 minutes for the a new universe to convert to RGB. The insert device process goes fairly quickly, just converstion to RGB seems to be impacted.

My machine isn't a super performance machine but i would think it should handle this.

Processor load at 50% overall, using about 25% on each core.

Memory usage grows with each universe I add, but never seems to explode to anything too large

LOR 3.5.0

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3.0 GHz)

4 GB memory

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

thoughts or suggestions? or others with differing observations?

What have others experienced with newer processors with 4 or 6 CPU's? Does LOR take advantage of them and benefit from the multiple cores, or is the speed of each core more important.

dave

You are correct, the more you add it gets slower building the file.

Just made one with 16 RGB strings and could see it getting slower with each additional string added. After that the speed was OK for everything else.

I just converted Universe 17 to RGB and it took over 10 minutes... 18 is running and we'll see how long that takes.

this was from a fresh load of the file and saving in-between.

Im running 16 universes fine, takes forver to load but still cant remember any amount of time to do the conversions.