Light-O-Rama Forums

Dmx Rgb Strip Fan/arch

jerrymac

Just completed my new RGB Fan/Arch's

102 channel (51 channels per fan arch)

8 segment arch and 9 segment fan. all using 12Volt RGB dumb strips.

(2) 27 channel controllers per fan arch.

I did not want to cut my CCR's so I came up with this setup. (much cheaper than dedicating CCR's)

These arch’s are 6 foot diameter (but could be any size. The wooden bracket visible in the daylight picture serves as a stand and helped in bending the PVC so tightly. "Tje archs do NOT need the stand for installation (slip over rebar at the three points) The arch legs are made of strips of coroplast zip tied the arch (3/4 schedule 40 PVC). Two arch's used a total of (4) 300 led 5 meter strips (cut into 34 pieces. 4 foot 18 gauge 4 conducter speaker wire (white) was used to connect to the controller (all strips use waterproof clip connectors).

Power by an ATX power supply.

No music as this was a test of the flezability of dumb strips (don't look very dumb here).

the you tube link is:

short version with background lights on

Wow. The standard style sleeve arches I built last weekend seem so inadequate. Very cool.

Is it just the camera angle, or is there a fan leg out on the left arch (third from the right)? Either way, these are awesome.

Wow. The standard style sleeve arches I built last weekend seem so inadequate. Very cool.

Is it just the camera angle, or is there a fan leg out on the left arch (third from the right)? Either way, these are awesome.

In setting up for the video I inadvertantly popped the blue lead for that section out of the controller (that is why the other colors work O.K.)

up side is that these two fan/archs cost me UNDER $300.00 total. (Holliday coro has all the pieces avialable light strips,controllers, power supply, connectors etc except the PVC pipe and labor, .

These required approx 544 soldering joints (strips to short ext wire, Heaver connecting wire, waterproof connectors etc.) and with 34 strip sections each cable had to be labeled. In actuall use I also have one Holiday Coro RGB flood for each arch running off the same controller and power supply).

Edited by jerrymac

A 27 channel controller is a DMX controller specifically built for dumb RGB devices available from HolidayCoro and China

HolidayCoro no longer stocks the 27 channel controller, just a 24 channel version.

Still available from Ray Wu and others in China, tho.

A 96 channel version is available from www.usledsupply.com and can handle 300ma per channel.

See http://www.usledsupply.com/shop/rgb-32-spi-dmx-decoder.html

FYI

It's a good deal alright; I have two of them for a couple of RGB starbursts/8 spoke wheel with three rgb strips per spoke.

Eats up the channels, but the power draw is low. I'll be assembling it next month and can post some pictures. Should look good (and unique).

Also using a 96 channel controller on some RGB rings (about 4 inches in diameter) that look like bubbles at night.

Three channels each x 30 of them comes to 90 channels, but each channel's only 120ma.

Rings: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-RGB-22-mode-100mm-5050-Car-Angel-Eyes-light-21-LED-Ring-10CM-Remote-/170796244084?pt=US_Car_Lighting&hash=item27c43fdc74

• 1 month later...
  • The topic was locked