Light-O-Rama Forums

LORVISTA!??

Guest guest

I got Vista on Tuesday when it came out and of course the first program I loaded was the LOR software. I have the same problem as James was discribing. It can't seem to find the audio, however the animation still plays.

LightORama wrote:

People how have tried to load LOR on vista were not successful. We are working on it and hope to have a vista version of 1.6 this month.

How about a Linux version? :]

It would be nice to do the sequencing in Windows and run the shows from a Linux box...

LightORama wrote:

People how have tried to load LOR on vista were not successful. We are working on it and hope to have a vista version of 1.6 this month.

Wow! That's too bad... my income tax refund will be here by the 16th (my income tax is always my budget for new decorations and holiday equipment) and I was planning on buying my first LOR that weekend (32 channel package). I've been sequencing with the LOR demo since November and feel ready to get my controllers and get started.

Guess that won't be happening now... not until I know for sure that LOR is going to work on Vista (which my new (last week) laptop is running).

Let us know when it works... thanks in advance!

Ryan

I wouldn't worry about it or get discouraged. I highly doubt that the fine folks at light-o-rama are going to post saying something like.."Sorry Folks, but we're just not going to allow LOR to run on Vista. If you want to run LOR, you have to use XP, and that's just the way it's going to be!"

They may even have it fixed by the time you get your tax return! Go ahead and place your order!

I have been running Vista Business and also Vista Ultimate. Vista does have some good stuff, also some things seem harder to do. Might as well get used to it because it will be around or a while. I think XP will not fade away any too quick, but Vista will take over by years end. Just my 2 cents worth.

James

Why would you upgrade to Windows Vista? Sure it has a few more security things that they purchased from somebody else and a slightly new nifty interface if your Video card supports it.
But in all honesty there is nothing Jaw dropping about Vista.
It will be probably 2 years before Vista becomes main stream and I read the other day that in June/July Microsoft will be releasing Service Pack 2 for Vista.
So for 2007 and beyond I will probably just stay with Windows XP Pro on my PC and my LOR Computer.

Just my 2 :tree::tree: worth.

-Evan

NWSanta wrote:

Why would you upgrade to Windows Vista?

-Evan

I am a manager for Best Buy so I've seen a lot of stuff on Vista over the past 6 months. I agree that it isn't an awe-inspiring system and will have some bugs and whatnot, much like XP and A LOT like ME did beforehand. But the fact is that I'm in the market for a new laptop, and Vista is what comes installed on everything going forward, so I really don't have a choice.

It's not a question of upgrading, it's a question of what's available when I buy.

And if you're picking up a new system, it's foolish to get one with an older operating system, eve if it were possible.

Ryan

Ok, well no arguing there; I was more talking about what you already had. If you already had XP then there was no reason to jump to Vista.
If you were buying a new machine then yes you have no other choice.

-Evan

NWSanta wrote:

Why would you upgrade to Windows Vista? Sure it has a few more security things that they purchased from somebody else and a slightly new nifty interface if your Video card supports it.

I don't think I'll be running Vista at home anytime soon. I hear it needs a gig of RAM and a recent P4 CPU.

My show box is a 233Mhz with 256M and a 4 gig drive. My main box only has 256M and I can't get memory for it from our distributor any more.

Weird: I can still get the old PC133 memory the show box uses but not the newer DDR 2700 or the Rambus stuff used in my camera system. . Go figure.:?

However, we have a site agreement at work and will be putting it in company wide pretty soon. I'll have to get used to it.

Microsoft has a Vista upgrade advisor program that will analise (sp?) your computer, all attached devices and software for compatibility for the different versions of Vista.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradeadvisor.mspx?wt_svl=20029a&mg_id=20029b

or http://tinyurl.com/2kcw3b

I checked 4 of my boxes tonight, all had a least 512MB ram and the following CPU's

AMD 2400+, 2600+, 2800+ and Intel P4 3.2 Ghz.

All 4 would run Vista Basic except the 2400+ machine, it doesn't have a DVD reader.

A lot of my software, including Microsoft distributions would need to be upgraded

Vista Basic doesn't like my network connected Minolta Color Laser printer, in fact none of the Vista versions do. I paid more for this printer then some of my computers! Minolta will have to produce some Vista drivers !

Getting above Vista Basic, it recommends a min of 1gig ram, DVD r/w, changing video cards and audio cards. ( My notebook has the DVD r/w, but getting new video and audio cards for the notebook computer would be a royal pain if not impossible.)

My Box with MCE2005 did pass for Home Premium but not for Vista Ultimate, would have to change Audio and Video cards.

Summary, my boxes running XP Home, XP Pro and MCE2005 will be in service until they die, I am in no hurry to upgrade to Vista.

To get back on Planet Christmas relevance, the Vista advisor did NOT flag my LOR software as a problem, so maybe it will work with some hardware combinations and Vista.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a new laptop with Vista...so far so good. I got the LOR (don't have the actual software yet) demo software loaded just fine. But when I try to do a musical sequence, I get a error message that the audio file cannot be played... no explanation. Does not matter what audio file I pick or what format it's in, it won't play!:(
Am I missing something???

The current version of LOR will not run on Vista, you will have the audio problem. I am currently helping test a LOR version patched for Vista and it is running fine so far. I am sure a patch is coming soon for all Vista owners.

James