Light-O-Rama Forums

Cannot Find Serial Port

hattereno

Okay really? Every time I start up my LOR products for a season or event, the Hardware utility cannot locate the serial port. So, I select it manually. But then the utility cannot find any of the controllers. It is so terribly frustrating. I fuss with it for a few days and bam - something (?) gets it to work.

Today, I'm so frustrated, it all went back to the basement.

I cannot ge the utility to locate my new Cosmic Floods so I can assign numbers to them.

Does anyone have any suggestions for my serial port problem?

The kicker is that the cosmic flood controller's green light is solid - so I know it is talking to something, just not the hardware utility.

In my experince when the HWU can't find the serial port it means the USB adapter is not plugged into the same USB port as it was last time you used it. Usually, hitting the AutoConfigure button (with a controller attached and powered on) will locate the current serial/USB port your adapter is connected to.

Once you have the correct serial port ID'd, then you can move on to the CCF controller. I would go ahead and reset the CCF controller, first. There is a button that you can press on the CCF controller when powering on the device. This will reset all configuration on the device, and return it to factory config. At that point it should be assigned address 01.

At this point you should be able to connect the CCF to the USB adapter and start up the HWU. The HWU should be able to find the controller and you can re-assign the address of the controller.

Important to note, when re-connecting the USB adapter to your computer, make sure you use the same USB port every time. This should reduce the number of errors related to the incorrect COM port.

Thanks Don. However, the HWU still isn't locating the port even with controllers that have worked in the past.

Double check all the connections. The CCF has a solid green light, so I assume the connection is working. Though I've always suspected the 485 converter was bad, but with a solid light ...

Guest wbottomley

Questions....

1) what's the maximum unit ID set at?

2) what level license do you have?

3) are you sure it's connected to the same USB port?

4) do you have the latest drivers installed for the adapter?

With a solid green light on the CCF, it's working properly as I suspect. So questions 1 & 2 would apply.