Light-O-Rama Forums

Dmx Set Up

Randal Trecha

Long time LOR user, new to DMX world. I've read a lot about LOR>DMX but still not completely sure what I need.

Here's my situation. I have just purchase some DMX controlled Flame projectors for a Halloween show. They come with a small control DMX box. I want to use the Sequence Editor to program and the LOR controllers to control them.

I have: a computer, a ShowTime Director, Controllers, a USB485B converter, DMX devices with 3 pin XLR cables (http://www.chinaeffe...Show.asp?ID=207), that DMX controller:(DMX Controller (Code:CEC01) which I don't think I need in the LOR setup.

What do I need to go from the computer, (or USB485B) to connect to the the DMX devices via their 3 pin cables?

Will the Sequence Editor turn on the devices with a simple "on" command in LOR, that is, program the show as I normally would a light show?

Thanks for your assistance

Randal

Admin Edit -

LOR Disclaimer - LOR does not supply equipment that is designed for use with pyrotechnics. The use of pyrotechnics is dangerous and should only be done buy experts using equipment designed for use in that role.

You can use the USB485 as a Raw DMX output. You can also setup your regular controllers run on DMX as well, but for this purpose I would buy a dedicated DMX cable. In DMX mode the controllers can shimmer and run through fades as they can running true LOR protocol. All that aside, once again you can use a USB485. What you will need as it will only have the Cat5 style output you will need to make a crossover cable to convert to DMX native pins 1 and 2 vs the 4 and 5 on the LOR setup on CAT5. I will provide a link at the bottom to help out. If you dont want to use that, then LIGHTORAMA sells the conversion cables as well.

From there it depends on the type of DMX device, you will have to power it up, uness its in standby till it senses a signal, as well you will have to setup Sequence Editor to make the controller do what you want it to do. For example if its a 3 channel controller and channel 1 turns on a light, channel 2 flashes a light, channel 3 rotates the light, you will need to program. Remember some controllers dont have a 0 position so it wont self correct, you will have to program it back to 0 position.

If your only doing a few of these, it might be benficial to run the LOR controllers on DMX, then you only have 1 cable coming out of the house. You run the Cat5 from the USB485 to your controllers as normal, daisy chain to all of them, then your last controller you would use the crossover XLR cable to your DMX devices.

I hope this helps.

http://store.lightorama.com/accessories.html

http://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/Connector_Pinouts#RJ45

Thank you

Question:

Can one computer drive a LOR network, through the standard USB port, USB485, Cat5, controller setup AND simultaneously, through a second USB port, run a another set of controllers on DMX through the USB485, crossover cable to convert to DMX, and out to the DMX devices? Both ports running their devices, simultaneously, LOR protocol on one and DMX on the other, from a single show controlled by a programmed show on S3?

Yes, there are many users using multiple USB connectors. You have to setup each one in the Hardware Wizard, label the actual unit as you do to avoid confusion later.

Randal, not to "douse" any plans, but do be careful with DMX and fire. Any fire that is used in any production venue/event is NOT controlled with DMX. There is no redundancy or safety. I know others in this forum have used it, they have experience with both LOR and DMX. Please take the proper precautions.

Nuf said.

• Like 2

I agree with zman , safety is paramount

Flame Projectors - Can't wait to see a video of those in action!

BTW - GoofyGuy didn't mention it but to run DMX from LOR without an iDMX requires an advanced license.

Thank you. I appreciate you words of caution in regard to the flames. I believe I have the appropriate safety measures built into the algorithm as I was in the LPG business. I will re-evaluate these measures.

Also, spomalley

"advanced license" Do you mean from LOR for S3?

label the actual unit as you do to avoid confusion later.

+1

Best advise I read this morning, I know of more times when you think you can remember, than the next day, week, month....BAMM, old age hits!

I keep a label gun next to me at all times now for anything light related

BTW - GoofyGuy didn't mention it but to run DMX from LOR without an iDMX requires an advanced license.

Good catch. I forget these things as I take them for granted as reading the forum I jumped in with the advanced license knowing I would eventually need it. Advanced is required to run Open DMX devices.

For the cost of the IDMX controller you can buy the advanced licencse as well a few of the USB485's.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Randal

I have a question for you about the flame projectors.

I have been looking around for a while for these and was wondering if you have purchased them and what the quality was like and the cost per unit.

Cheers

Randal, not to "douse" any plans, but do be careful with DMX and fire. Any fire that is used in any production venue/event is NOT controlled with DMX. There is no redundancy or safety. I know others in this forum have used it, they have experience with both LOR and DMX. Please take the proper precautions.

Nuf said.

Sorry..... But some of the best and most safe fire systems for productions ARE controlled via DMX. http://www.jemfx.com/accumulator.html But you also make a good point that you should only do this if you have experience with DMX and fire systems. I provided production support for high school graduation and we had a fire works show at the end of it. Be sides the fireworks, we had 6 propane cannons. The fireworks we shot via PyroDigital and the propane cannons were DMX controlled with a light board, using the jemfx burner control system. Here is a video of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbdVk3ETquE&feature=related

Steve

Kieren,

http://www.chinaeffects.com/ProductShow.asp?ID=207

$ 185 USD per projector

$ 150 USD for controller

Quality from 0-10 , I say 6-7

One unit that the "DMX out port" wires switched, so I had to fix that to make it completely functional.

There are no instructions in English and I am working through a problem with the regulator closing off the gas flow after a large volume, multi-projector, burn. I have to reset the tank value(turn off then on).

Having said that I have got them to work. about a 2 meter flame.

Thanks for the breakdown.

What type of controller do you need?

Is it just a DMX controller or something else that is requires?

Cheers