Light-O-Rama Forums

How can I run 64+ servos?

TJ Hvasta

I sorta asked this last year but as Halloween is drawing closer, 'time to get building/programming.. My current Halloween show consists of fourteen (right now) 3-axis talking skeletons (pirates) with four servos each, controlled with LynxMotion SSC32 board thru VSA.. Thats 56 servos, without the eye kits, which would require at least two more micro servos per skull.. so, abt 80 servos ttl.

As the ServoDog has just eight inputs (which would be just two skulls and no eyes), what arrre my options for running all these with LOR, or can it even be done without spending a LOT of $$$ for enough SD boards to run 60+ servos? Is anyone else running a lot of servos, by a lot, more than 30-40 ??

teege

Attached files 321016=17498-IMG00034.jpg

I do not have a ton of experience in servos but my question to you is are the auto returning style servos, as well do they move on input or does it have a digital flow into the servo itself. I know of some servos I have used in the past were only 1 way when power was applied and auto returned to 0 position using a spring or magnets internally. As well I could apply less power for less travel, but when power is removed they go back to 0 or start.

If that is the case then a DC baord would work well on a low power setup. Once again this is if they are auto return style servos. If they are digital or analog signal for position then Im out of ideas.

We will be releasing the servo pup later this year. It is an 8 channel servo controller but much simpler and cheaper than the servo dog. I am not sure of the price yet but it will significantly lower the price per servo port as compared to the servo dog or the DIO32.

TJ Hvasta wrote:

yeah.. 'need something that will run 32 or more..

Forums will be shutting down in a few minutes. Guess I do not understand why it has to be a single card that has 32 or more channels but you can set me straight soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it doesnt really -have- to be a single card, but as I'm using 64+ servos, buying 8 or more ServoDogs, or several DIOs is extremely costly. The Lynx card I'm using now runs 32 servos, and I have 3 of them, @ $39/each. I'd need at least two DIO32's, but @ $150/ea, I'm seeing, going the LOR control route isnt going to be an option. If the Pups are small, and.. like.. $20-$25 or so each.. I could possibly go with a single Pup in each skull, depending on their size.. (but still, x 14-16 skulls :)

Thanks tho!

• 1 month later...

Robb, 8 is less than 64.. its still a matter of the number of boards I'd have to buy, DMX would not make a differance.

Arn, I havent done the eyes yet.. I was going to use low power LEDs for them, just havent got around to it. The Lynx board runs the 4 servos per skull thru a serial port, quite nicely too. I think I'm going to have to continue to use it for Halloween for Dororthy, Scarecrow, Tin Man and Lion, w/skeletel / zombie / skulls.. Just dont think I can swing a DIO board ($$) even during the Sale to try out. Thanks tho.

Arn, I havent done the eyes yet.. I was going to use low power LEDs for them, just havent got around to it. The Lynx board runs the 4 servos per skull thru a serial port, quite nicely too. I think I'm going to have to continue to use it for Halloween for Dororthy, Scarecrow, Tin Man and Lion, w/skeletel / zombie / skulls.. Just dont think I can swing a DIO board ($$) even during the Sale to try out. Thanks tho.

TJ,

I ordered a DIO32 board during the sale for future use (not this year). When it arrives, you are welcome to try it out and use it this year for your Halloween display. I was originally planning to dive into animatronics this year, but got caught up in pixel control and E1.31 and have been placing all my time and effort in that area. Since I don't need it this year, I ordered it "Try for Free," so don't know when it will ship. I also have a Servo Dog from last year's sale that you are welcome to use. I loved seeing your pirate ship display last Halloween.

Hi Denny! Oh YES! That would be GREAT!! I was trying to decide to move into the DIO for Halloween or go RGB for Halloween/Christmas.. Decided I at least have the Lynx controllers for the skulls, and can work around separate machines for servos and lighting.. for Halloween so I spent $ for 50m of 5050 RGB strips and a DC controller.. The ServoDog is 8 channel? That might just work for my WizOfOz group.. Dorothy, Scarecrow, TinMan and Lion.. at least one servo each.. the jaw and maybe rotate their heads.. PM me yer address and I'm send off a check for shipping. Hope I can work it in with the ropelight faces and LOR controllers for WizOfOz.

Thanks for the kudos on the Pirates.. This year will be a either a zombie or skeletal Wizard Of Oz display.. we havent decided how "dark" its going to be.. :ph34r: