Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16PC CAT 5 PORTS

sebastian james hawes

I HAVE FOUND THAT ALOT OF MY CAT 5 PORTS ON MY CONTROLLERS ARE DIRTY AND LOOK TO BE CURODING.
WAS WONDERING IF IT WOULD BE OK TO JUST USE CONTACT CLEANER ON THEM. ALSO FOUND 3 OF THE BOARDS HAVE SOME TYPE OF WHITE ALMOST POUDER AROUND THE SOLDIER JOINTS COULD THIS BE CUROSION TO.THEISE CONTROLLERS HAVE NEVER BEEN SET ON GROUND AND USED BUT WHERE THEY ARE THEIR IS ALOT OF FOG AND DUE IN THE MORNINGS

Attached files 320653=17490-IMG_0596.JPG

do you leave your controllers on or are they on a timer? if you leave them on they will provide some heat to keep moisture down

To answer your first question, using electrical contact cleaner (not TV tuner cleaner, if you can even find that stuff anymore) on the Cat5 jacks won't hurt anything. Just allow it to dry completely before restoring power. If there is a thick build-up, resist the urge to stick something in there (besides a Cat-5 cable) to clean it unless you are VERY careful - once those pins bend, they're not fixable.

thank you the info to answer your question the controllers stay on the whole time during the show but arter that they are taken down and stored in containers for the off season.

Once you have the board cleaned up. I would look into conformal coating the board. I get the kit and build up the boards. Once done. I tape off the contacts socketed chips and the data jacks. Then the front and back of the board get sprayed to keep the corrosion away and helps stop shorts and damage to the components.

Max-Paul wrote:

Once you have the board cleaned up. I would look into conformal coating the board. I get the kit and build up the boards. Once done. I tape off the contacts socketed chips and the data jacks. Then the front and back of the board get sprayed to keep the corrosion away and helps stop shorts and damage to the components.

Thanks i just looked it up and thats a great idea where do you get it online or in local store

Surfing4Dough wrote:

Seems that others that are near the ocean have had similar problems. Appears that Homosassa is not too far off the gulf.

Well I'm glad to know its not just me yea actually the controllers are used it the wild life park which is literally on the water one controller is less than ten feet away from the waters edge

SJH,

Ok, I was kind of quick with my other post. I tape over the following items. Data Jacks (3). The I.C. chips that are in a socket, The heat sinks on the voltage regulators. And cause I have the P.C. boards. And it is a pain in the Arse, I cover all of the terminals that the wires going out to the lights, oh and the fuse holders. Then I spray the holy heck out of the board. I dont care if it runs or not. And I will spray from all 4 sides and from straight above. Let dry and then flip over and do the back side. Warning. if you have a component go bad. It will take some work with a xacto knife to scrape the stuff away. Now what I use is just simple clear Kryon paint. Though I have heard that some places that deal in electronics and such parts do sell a spray can of stuff for conformal coating.

Living in FL, I worry about moisture and bugs, so all my boards get set up this way. Also, a good coating is CorrosionX, it's available in various sizes, it can be bought at corrosionx.com or at a boat parts dealer.

Attached files 320872=17495-IMG_0069.JPG