Light-O-Rama Forums

120v LED and LOR controllers

Gman7711

Do the LED s strands with the standard 120v connection (non flashing) work with the gen 3 controllers fine? Do they still give you the power savings as apposed to incandescent?

I have 2 Gen2 controllers, ran Lowes LED strings with no issues. I didnt use any snubbers or resistors to get them to fade properly. They faded, shimmered, and twinkled just fine. The controller is only 1 part of the equiation for smooth fades, some strings still need rectifiers or snubbers. I think there is a firmware update coming along to help lessen those issues.

GoofyGuy wrote:

I have 2 Gen2 controllers, ran Lowes LED strings with no issues. I didnt use any snubbers or resistors to get them to fade properly. They faded, shimmered, and twinkled just fine. The controller is only 1 part of the equiation for smooth fades, some strings still need rectifiers or snubbers. I think there is a firmware update coming along to help lessen those issues.

I know my 3rd gen has LED timing curves. I just wanted to make sure with incandescents getting harder to find, I didn't have to switch to the DC boards. I an comfortable with 120v.

Thanks!

most store leds will work fine,but there are some that will not fade,also I have seen on here were people say some can catch on fire if you try to fade them.so be careful

So far.....I've only found one group of LED strings that will not fade normally that I bought this last end of Christmas seasonal sales. Those were "Martha" lights that I think I bought at Home Depot. Any strings that have their own controllers for the lights, I would avoid using on the LOR controllers although many might work. Funny thing, the cheapest light strings I have, work very well and came from BigLots. I bought a lot of strings from Lowes following Christmas during the sales, paying $0.66 per box...they all work great! I bought them for my coming megatree but turned out, my length was wrong, so I'll use them on minitrees instead.

You can't go wrong on saving money on the power bill using LED's. Comparing my static displays in the past two years, using nearly all LED's to others in the neighborhood using incandescent lamp displays, mine stand out by far better but that's also the "look" that I wanted. So, it depends on the desired view from the street. I do have about %10 incandescent in my static display which of course this year will be nearly all LOR controlled.

I just happen to have a biglots by me! Thanks!

dgrant wrote:

So far.....I've only found one group of LED strings that will not fade normally that I bought this last end of Christmas seasonal sales. Those were "Martha" lights that I think I bought at Home Depot. Any strings that have their own controllers for the lights, I would avoid using on the LOR controllers although many might work. Funny thing, the cheapest light strings I have, work very well and came from BigLots. I bought a lot of strings from Lowes following Christmas during the sales, paying $0.66 per box...they all work great! I bought them for my coming megatree but turned out, my length was wrong, so I'll use them on minitrees instead.

You can't go wrong on saving money on the power bill using LED's. Comparing my static displays in the past two years, using nearly all LED's to others in the neighborhood using incandescent lamp displays, mine stand out by far better but that's also the "look" that I wanted. So, it depends on the desired view from the street. I do have about %10 incandescent in my static display which of course this year will be nearly all LOR controlled.

dgrant wrote:

You can't go wrong on saving money on the power bill using LED's.
Money saved on the power bill is not really significant.

The real money saved is not having to pay an electrical contractor big bucks to install a new sub-panel and outlets to power those hundreds of thousands of incandescent lights.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...