Light-O-Rama Forums

CAT5 LENGTH

denamy1

If my computer is approximately 80' from the first controller, will that be a problem? On the LOR user manual it says you can only do 50' max with the CAT5 cable. I am using the USB adapter at the computer to CAT5.

I don't know what user manual you were looking in but my user manual says that you need to be 100' or less from a serial connector (your computer) and the first controller. So 80 feet away and you should be fine.

1st controller distance limit is for powering the serial adapter from the controller, or powering an ELL or iDMX from a USB booster.

I run USB-485iso to ctb16pc through a 200 foot cable with no issues.

denamy1 wrote:

If my computer is approximately 80' from the first controller, will that be a problem?

I have several 500' runs between controllers that work fine.

No issue here with 100 feet to the first controller and several 160 feet between each controller.

Per the manual, the SC485 (seral cable) is good for 100ft from the network adapter to your first controller.

The USB485 and USB485B are good for 4000ft to the first controller.

So if your network adapter is connect to the PC and only going out 80ft with cat5...should be no problem at all.

I've personally have run 400ft lengths and had no problems.

http://www.lightorama.com/PDF/RS485_Adapters_Man_Web.pdf

Kevin

Since virtually nobody uses the serial adapter anymore (USB adapters don't have this limitation), you can essentially ignore it, IF you're simply controlling a standard controller (and not something like a ELL).

• 3 weeks later...

So what if you are running a network that includes both PC CTB16PC controllers and CCRs? Or a network that only runs 6 CCRs? Using an RS485 to USB connection. Can the Cat5 from the RS485 to the first controller be inexcess of 100' in either of those networks, and if so, what do you think is the greatest distance I can get away with?

One more time. There was once the SC485 adapter that had a limit to the FIRST controller and the COMPUTER. Now days people are getting the USB485 controller. This has no limit per say to the FIRST controller to the COMPUTER. Now the only limitation is from the COMPUTER to the LAST controller is 4000'. But this can be extended by using the repeater module.

• Like 3

One more time. There was once the SC485 adapter that had a limit to the FIRST controller and the COMPUTER. Now days people are getting the USB485 controller. This has no limit per say to the FIRST controller to the COMPUTER. Now the only limitation is from the COMPUTER to the LAST controller is 4000'. But this can be extended by using the repeater module.

To give it another bump as its correct all 4 times its been stated. My main run is well over 100 foot from the PC. Regardless of what your connecting to if you have the USB485 your limit is 3/4 of a mile. I would hope your display is at least that close to your house.

So what if you are running a network that includes both PC CTB16PC controllers and CCRs? Or a network that only runs 6 CCRs? Using an RS485 to USB connection. Can the Cat5 from the RS485 to the first controller be inexcess of 100' in either of those networks, and if so, what do you think is the greatest distance I can get away with?

Since I don't see a direct answer:

Both those devices run from their own power supply. Distance limits for all practical intents only apply when there are network powered devices involved like the SC485, ELL, or iDMX. Mixing CTB16PC and CCR does not affect the distance. You should be good for at least 1,000 feet between the PC and first controller.