Light-O-Rama Forums

Audio Scrubbing while sequencing

Timon

I'm for it, have used it, but currently I use what is available in the software to get the job done. And it works just fine for what I do, so I've never really felt I needed it in the SE, nor do I really feel I'm missing out by not having audio-scrubbing in the SE, but that's just me.

However, if it were there, yes, I'd probably be using it.

And to be quite honest, then should we not also have internal audio-editing capabilities as well? When I worked on a community TV program in the early 80's when I was volunteering for an extra credit program, I did a lot of audio and video editing for a show called BCC Sunspots {Brevard Community College} in Melbourne, FL.

So if we're going to add or request audio-scrubbing to be put into the SE, then by all means, shouldn't audio-editing be there as well?

Then we wouldn't need 3rd party software to hack, cut or delete out parts of a song, then have to re-import it back into the SE. Which I've found doesn't always work out well and have had to create an entire new sequence, then copy everything from the original over to the new one because the audio file has become shorter by the edits I made. - Now that's a real pain too!

As far as I'm concerned audio-scrubbing and audio-editing are two tools that go hand in hand, and you really need both to accomplish the ultimate goal of both locating specific parts of a song, and then editing out those that you may not want there, like those that aren't what I'd call "family friendly", or just editing the song down to a shorter version without having to do it outside the SE.

So shouldn't we be asking for both audio-scrubbing and audio-editing in the same package deal?

Timon wrote:

So I believe that LOR has not added it because no one that's working on S3 has ever used audio scrubbing so they don't see the benefit. I really believe that if someone who is working on S3 had come from an environment that use audio scrubbing we would have seen this feature added long ago.

Personally I think they could find the very few hours it would take to add it to S3. I'm still surprised that once LSP had it early on LOR would have added it but then what do I know.

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree with your comment. I have used "audio scrubbing" with LSP, it was ok but certainly not a biggie or must have.

I didn't even renew or upgrade my LSP license, and no longer use LSP, and I certainly do NOT miss audio scrubbing. It was just a tool to accomplish a task, but as always there is more then one way to accomplish every task.

Good Luck with your switch to HLS software
  • Like 1

Orville wrote:

I'm for it, have used it, but currently I use what is available in the software to get the job done. And it works just fine for what I do, so I've never really felt I needed it in the SE, nor do I really feel I'm missing out by not having audio-scrubbing in the SE, but that's just me.

However, if it were there, yes, I'd probably be using it.

And to be quite honest, then should we not also have internal audio-editing capabilities as well? When I worked on a community TV program in the early 80's when I was volunteering for an extra credit program, I did a lot of audio and video editing for a show called BCC Sunspots {Brevard Community College} in Melbourne, FL.

So if we're going to add or request audio-scrubbing to be put into the SE, then by all means, shouldn't audio-editing be there as well?

Then we wouldn't need 3rd party software to hack, cut or delete out parts of a song, then have to re-import it back into the SE. Which I've found doesn't always work out well and have had to create an entire new sequence, then copy everything from the original over to the new one because the audio file has become shorter by the edits I made. - Now that's a real pain too!

As far as I'm concerned audio-scrubbing and audio-editing are two tools that go hand in hand, and you really need both to accomplish the ultimate goal of both locating specific parts of a song, and then editing out those that you may not want there, like those that aren't what I'd call "family friendly", or just editing the song down to a shorter version without having to do it outside the SE.

So shouldn't we be asking for both audio-scrubbing and audio-editing in the same package deal?

What about abilities for photo editing? It would be nice to not have to use a separate program to edit/crop the photo of my house that I use in the visualizer. Heck, some people use video in there display, so seems that video editing should be right up there too. And if it is included, then I would assume that video scrubbing would be a must.

• 2 months later...

Scrubbing +1

Having done a lot of audio and television post production, I've found scrubbing to be indispensable for finding and adjusting synchronization and cut points between the sound track and video tracks - not too different in concept to sequence editing. I've often wished for scrubbing in S3 but I still get the job done with the tools provided.

As others have said, if you've never used scrubbing it's probably not a feature you would cast a strong vote for. On the other hand, If you have used it it's a real productivity enhancer and would be a much appreciated feature.

Scrubbing would be a huge help, I use it all the time in Papagayo and its great. Come on Light-O-Rama, lets put it in the next release.(Down on my kness...PRETTY PLEASE!!!) :)

I've made the suggestion before, but why not convert the MIDI interface in S3 to a real-time keyboard input?

Assign keyboard keys to a particular prop (or channel) and hit the key(s) exactly when you need to in the audio sequence?

Just thinking it would be a time saver, eh?

• Like 2

I've made the suggestion before, but why not convert the MIDI interface in S3 to a real-time keyboard input?

Assign keyboard keys to a particular prop (or channel) and hit the key(s) exactly when you need to in the audio sequence?

Just thinking it would be a time saver, eh?

Now that would be very cool!

• 2 months later...

Im new to LOR and I think the scrubbing is a great idea.

We run our 256 output animation show (google dc cemetery haunted house) using cubase and MIDI and its significantly easier to pause, enter data, and resume at the point you stoppen then the LOR software. We can also "draw" data in realtime while the show is playing which is another huge benefit.

If LOR could integrate a "pause, record, and pen tool" even if its for one channel at a time I think this would be a huge improvement.

Just thinking out loud here.

I do a lot of video editing and I agree, scrubbing is a must.

One trick I have applied to get the timings and cues is that I import the same audio file into Adobe Premier Elements. I then set up my desktop to a split screen with Adobe on the bottom and the LOR editor on top. I scrub in Adobe to find the timing of my cues and simply insert my commands in the LOR software at the timing found in Adobe PE. It is cumbersome to set up but it's the next best thing IMHO.

Yep, submitted my request for scrubbing over a year ago. I think it's a must for any time-based content creation tool. The trick, it seems to me, is to implement it without altering the current workflow. Right now if you click and drag you select a portion of the timeline but with scrubbing the same action would play the sound (and trigger the channels) as you drag over it, at the speed you drag. Perhaps the scrubbing could be triggered by right-click dragging over the timeline?