Light-O-Rama Forums

Magic lights?

rickodom

So this is well... my third post on the forums so bare with me. I've been lurking around in attempts to do some of my own research/reconnaissance work regarding LOR, what it does, how it does it, etc... and boy it's a lot to take in even in a few weeks.

I'm attempting to come up with a theme, lights, items for the lawn and music for a house I actually don't even own yet. My family is buying our first home so I want this first year to be something special.

As I sit here though, looking at what lights we do have, it's not going to cut it, not by a long shot. I know I should be planning my design first and come up with and then plan on purchasing the lights, etc... but my design my not end up being within my spending range during the first year.

So what to do? Do most folks in my situation just buy what they can afford and then plan something around it or are their some sales that might come up prior to Christmas that I may not be aware of? Any recommended sites that folks can point me to? I'm thinking I'd like to use RGB lights but the price of those seems a tad high though I'm sure they are worth every penny saving time from having to string multiple lights to achieve the same, albeit sub-par, affect.

Anyhow, I don't want to make this thread too long winded and wanted to say hello for a change instead of staying in the shadows. ;)

Rick

Edit: Tried to edit my title after posting but couldn't. My title went in one direction and my actual text went another. :P

Welcome to the madness Rick.

You're definitely going about it in the right way.

My first year I was only going to start with 32 channels, 2 controllers, but my display elements kept growing, and before I was finished, 5 controllers and 80 channels my first year display, Halloween 2010, then Christmas.

If you can afford additional controllers, much cheaper than buying replacement LED strings for your current items, that's what I'd recommend doing.

If not, the other things you can do is do a static display with what you have and animate just a small portion of your display until you can get the funds to replace the incans with LED or add more controllers.

I start scouting the stores starting around August for new Halloween items, then almost the end of August some stores are putting out the Christmas goodies.

I have actually bought a lot of my LED strands from Big Lots at very low prices during August-November. Of course they aren't sealed and aren't as good a quality as the more expensive sealed strings that many vendors here sell, but I go with what I can afford. And that's usually the big box retail or discount stores.

Most of where I buy my LED strands have been: Lowes, Home Depot, K-Mart, Target, Walgreen's and Big Lots.

I have also gotten some nice wireframe characters for my Halloween Display at Big Lots as well, and they are still going strong and will be out in my 2012 display. Although they are incandescent {clear or purple bulbs}, one of these days I'll retrofit them with LED strands.

Again, Welcome to the madness and the forums.

Welcome to the madness

OH. and anytime you see any kind of lights Traffic lights etc... You probably will be thinking about someway to sequence that traffic light to some song

rickodom wrote:

So what to do? Do most folks in my situation just buy what they can afford and then plan something around it or are their some sales that might come up prior to Christmas that I may not be aware of? Any recommended sites that folks can point me to? I'm thinking I'd like to use RGB lights but the price of those seems a tad high though I'm sure they are worth every penny saving time from having to string multiple lights to achieve the same, albeit sub-par, affect.

Welcome!

I don't know what most people do, but I know what I did. :P 2011 was my first year using LOR. I already had some LED from the big box stores, but not nearly enough to do what I wanted. My budget wasn't big enough to do what I really wanted to do. So I picked a much smaller design. One where I would have enough lights after I purchased the new ones I could afford. I purchased my new lights for 2011 at http://www.holiday-light-express.com/ and http://foreverled.com/
There are many reputable vendors, I'm sure other people will post and tell you where they get their lights, too.

For 2012 I bought another $1600 in lights during the January pre-buys. My display will be a little bigger, but not as big as I would really like. I'm just going to have to add a little more every year as I can afford it.

Funtobewith11 wrote:

Orville wrote:
Most of where I buy my LED strands have been: Lowes, Home Depot, K-Mart, Target, Walgreen's and Big Lots.

I see you did not mention Walmart. Is there a specific reason? The reason I ask is I bout about 7,000 LED lights from them last year and am not sure they will fade. I am sure you use fade and if you bought target etc do those all fade? Just trying to get an idea if I have to re-buy lights for my mega tree. Will not be a big deal as i will use them somewhere else just thought I would ask as you mentions all those store and you would know if they fade.

thanks.

I KNEW there was a store I was forgetting, but for the life of me when I posted that message, I just could not remember the name of the store, and it WAS Wal-Mart. I also forgot CVS in there too.

Yes, I buy, and have bought a lot of stuff from Wal-Mart too.

Every store I mentioned above, I have bought LED strings from and every one has faded fine, but there's a catch to that, if you end to end more than 3 strands, they will flicker on fade up/down. And you'll need a snubber of some type once you add that 4th strand into the mix.

I try and keep my channel limits to no more than 200 LEDs {LOWES 200ct strand} on a channel and that seems to work out fine, UNLESS they are 50 count strands, then only 150 {50x3}, or 35 count would be 105 LED bulbs, etc. I try not to exceed the 3 strand limit no matter what the LED bulb count may be, but I am using one Version 1 and four Version 2 controllers, the newer Version {Generation} 3 controllers don't seem to have this issue from what I've read {I don't own any Gen 3 controllers so can't say for certain}.

So if you have the newest controllers, fading shouldn't be an issue and I don't think a snubber would be needed for the Gen 3 controller types as I believe those have snubbers built into them.

Hi Rick -

First, good luck with your new house. It's always exciting to move into a new place, with many challenges around each corner.

As for lighting this year, here's what I think I'd do. The first thing is to get your design figured out. Don't worry about not having the lights and controllers you want... just get a picture of it in your head, and preferably drawn out on paper. Once you have that laid out, you can take inventory of the lights you DO have, and what lights and controllers you can afford this year. The benefit to this approach is that you won't be TOO overwhelmed this year, and you can ease into it. Also, if you decide that this really ISN'T for you, then you don't have too much invested.

Once the design is figured out, you can scale back your dream lighting layout, and then work toward getting that all together. RGB strings are great, though very expensive in my book, both in cost and in labor as far as sequencing, and if you're doing DIY, construction/setup. You might not be able to afford them this year. So, the next best option is LED lights. Brilliant colors, but still on the expensive side. Finally, there are incandescent minis. These are relatively inexpensive, and will do the job for you for a few years, until you can muster the resources you need to do it the way you REALLY want to. Minis are my preferred light, both because of the price (less than $3 per string, and often for as little as a dollar at sales), and the way they look.

This is also the time to start sequencing. When you have your layout designed, you can start figuring out how many channels it will take to create your display. When that's done, create those channels in the sequence editor, save the channel configuration (to use in other sequences), and start sequencing the lights to music.

This fourm is a great source of information, with many experts available to answer your question. Sometimes you have to wade through the horseplay and bs that goes on here, but many of the old timers here (newer users too) can offer excellent information.

Good luck with your new house and your first year display.

D.T.

Welome to the forum. This is my first year as well but I'm going in with a bang. I'm at 96 controllers and lots of LEDs. Will see how it goes this first year before spending any more for the CCR's, CCP's and etc. I buy lights at the end of the season sales therefore percentages off the original price. So far, lots of lights, I got from BigLots and they all dim just fine, plus they were cheaper by far than most of the other retailers. I bought a lot of the Phillips brand from Target and they too dim easily. Lowes and Home Depot lights, seem to work but didn't buy that many but with one exception, all dimmed except one brand which were "Martha" lights, probably Martha Stuart. Those do not dim so don't waste your money on those.
Best thing I can advise and remembering I'm a newbie, listen to the experts here on the forum. Make a yard/house plan first so you'll know what you have, what you need and finally what you wish. From there, you'll know how many controllers vs the budget to go with.

I bought 100% of my LED's last year from Lowes, they all fade fine. I have the boxes at the house Ill get you the brand they are later.

Last year was my first year. My master plan was based on where I could hang lights, now many total props in the yard I would have, and of course budget. The controllers were fun to assemble from scratch and when the work the first time is even better.

I started with 32 channels last year I didnt start till September and what really helped were the people here that were sharing sequences to get me up and running fast. All I needed to do was move around the channels to fit my display. I sequenced 4 songs of my own as well but the other 8 were from here.

This year will be well into the 5k-10k channel range, as pixels will be my entire display. I have done the research, watched Donny and Jeff really dig into these things and goof off with them. FasyEddy has been a huge help with the information he has gathered and assembled on his own time for us. I now have the controllers for the channels and pixels on the way.

I reccomend you look at the Auschristmas PDF regardless of display type as it will really help with the setup.

I started out with two contollers several years ago and like most people have added more controllers and lights each year. Just out of curiosity though...has anyone ever done a cost comparison as to how much it would cost to start with RGB's and DMX controllers as opposed to LOR controllers and LED's or incandescants?

For example, I started with 2 controllers and initially just had the roof outlined with about 100' of icicle lights, 12 mini trees and several other lawn displays. I know I spent about $1500 that first year(2000). Any idea what that would cost if done with RGB's and DMX controllers?

Welcome, rickodom, to our wonderful little world. I'm heading into my 2nd year in 2012. I started in June of 2011 with 16 channels, fastly ordered another controller and 16 more channels. Had about 7000 lights with about 40% LEDs from Big Lots, Home Depot and Wal-mart. All faded fine. Most had a little flicker, so I went ahead and put Snubbers on anyway.http://forums.planetchristmas.com/index.php?/topic/36988-easiest-terminatorssnubbers-to-make/ Check here for a simple one to make.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. The folks on here are fantastic and are more than willing to help.
Most of all, have fun with your project. the sequencing will take the biggest bite out of your time. Most props are easy to make. There are all kinds of different ways to do the same thing so find out what works best for you. PVC, CoroPlast, Zipcord, Vampire plugs, all are my new friends. LOR forums, Planet Christmas Forums, Holiday University forums, AusChristmas Forums and Christmas Carolina Forums to name a few are all fantastic.

Enjoy,

Ron

Guest Don Gillespie

Welcome aboard I search garage sales in my spare time find lots of extension cords, and every once in a while a jackpot hits me, led lights and displays from people no longer wanting to decorate for Christmas.

Since it was mentioned, I need to ask.
Does anyone have a "Theme"?
I'm guessing they mean something like, Disney, Birth of Christ, North Pole, yadda, yadda, right?

Sorry, my wife asked me that last year and I looked at her with my stupid look and said "Christmas"....DUH!

She told me that I might need my inflatables for something other than the display.....ROFLMAO!

I am glad someone meantioned extension cords, you are going to need a lot.

Start sequencing NOW! Commit to the display and keep the changes for next year.

I buy my lights at after Christmas sales or from preorder sales.

KEEP THE FUN IN IT!

Oh and welcome to the madness!

Thanks all for great suggestions... Good links to start with Lori!

This was one of those times where I felt I had an idea on where to start but was second guessing myself.

Luckily I have an image out our home to use as a background with this LOR software to try and plan out the decorations. (After I learn the functions rather)

And regarding themes... I was thinking about this myself... I was wanting to do something Disney themed but due to my budget, buying those marked up Disney items may be out of reach... heck I don't even own one lawn decoration, only lights!

And good idea Don, I'll start hitting up garage sales soon and see if I can get some extension cords stockpiled! :)

For my first year, I'm actually thinking of buying a couple of the kits where I put the controller together myself just so I can get more than one to start off with which seems like the common consensus here.

Thanks again all!

rickodom wrote:

So this is well... my third post on the forums so bare with me. I've been lurking around in attempts to do some of my own research/reconnaissance work regarding LOR, what it does, how it does it, etc... and boy it's a lot to take in even in a few weeks.

I'm attempting to come up with a theme, lights, items for the lawn and music for a house I actually don't even own yet. My family is buying our first home so I want this first year to be something special.

As I sit here though, looking at what lights we do have, it's not going to cut it, not by a long shot. I know I should be planning my design first and come up with and then plan on purchasing the lights, etc... but my design my not end up being within my spending range during the first year.

Anyhow, I don't want to make this thread too long winded and wanted to say hello for a change instead of staying in the shadows. :)

Rick

Edit: Tried to edit my title after posting but couldn't. My title went in one direction and my actual text went another. ;)

first off welcome, then I would say do what you are comfortable doing. If you stress out too much then this is not a relaxing hobby like it can be. also about extension cords,you can make your own to run from your lor controller to your props and lights. many of us use spt 1 or spt 2 and vampire plug ends to make custom runs,plus it's cheaper than buying all of them.

http://store.ledgenlighting.com/search.asp?keyword=slide&search=GO

http://www.christmaslightshow.com/Spt1-Wire-Plugs-and-Sockets-for-Christmas-outdoor-decorations.html

those are a couple examples,but check around there are many venders for both. be aware when you buy,that you buy the same plug size and wire size

I am the same way. I read and read and read and researched. I JUST got my controller on Thursday and by then I had 3 sequences done. Once you purchase you can dl the software and start. I am on limited funds right now so I started with one controller but soon found I need another. I will order it and the fm transmittor during the sale?? or at least by September. I am just using what I have (I have built a nice stash of christmas stuff over the years) I always buy stuff after christmas. I knew what songs I wanted to use... I had listened to them 90million times on my ipod...I learned the beats and the sections. I drew a picture of my house and used colored pencils to draw out a basic plan... it does seem to an obsession.... I have already purchased lights from ebay and craigslist. My husband is a contractor so he has built me stuff already.... I know my friends and family are like "shut up about it already"... but the more we talk about it... the more the ideas start flowing.... one thing I found helpful... use earbuds when you start sequencing... it helps to really hear the music parts better. I use tapper wizard to put beats where I need them... I've changed the names of my channels to where they are so I won't forget... worked 3-5 seconds at a time. first sequence took me 13 hours. but it looks awesome.... well ... so far... the test will be when the lights actually get hooked up..which if I had my choice... the back yard will turn into christmas land soon

Welcome to the house of madness. I for one have fully enjoyed watching the folks stop and get out to chat. I have been doing this for about 5 years now and I always look for way to make it look better. Now that I run over 500 raw lor channels. I do have someone that sequences it for me at a cost. Take your time enjoy and dont jump to deep to fast.

welcome Rick
I too am a newbie. in 2010, Santa brought me the deluxe software and I fiddled with it creating sequences with the on board program that let's you load a picture of your house and animate it to your sequences. I then got my first controller in 2011. I had 16 channels and found out quickly I'm addicted and needed more. I have a very limited budget so this year I only added 1 controller and 2 CCR for arches. I do not plan to add any more lights this year (ya like that's going to happen) but use the existing ones in a more animated way. my theme is a surfboard shop in Cali called Santa's Surf Shop. I have 4 surfboards around the yard that use 2 channels each. The big thing for me this year is the CC Ribbons. they are so awesome. They have led me in a different direction. Now when it come to planning for additional lights I am Going CCR or DMX. CCR/DMX is the way to go if you can afford to. they allow so much flexibility in color and animation for the price. Another thing to is to keep your sequences open for expansion. All my 2011 sequences are only 16 channels. For 2012 I have had to redo all of them for the expansion to 36 channels and 100 CCR channels(2 ribbons). So my new template file I have 196 regular channels and 12 x 50 CCR channels. Not all are used but as I add controllers and lights, all I have to do is plug and play them. There are also a lot of little things like Power cords. weather proof containers for components for the CCR. Running electrical circuits from the main breaker box to locals for the controllers. last year with 16 channels I was able to use just the existing garage circuit and it only blew once. I have already installed 4 new circuits at 30 amps each for expansion. I already plan to add the Singing Christmas Tree Quartet that I won in a sequencing contest from www.holidaycoro.com for 2013. This means I need 2 more regular controllers and all the lights.

So good luck with your show. there is no one way to do it except to Just Do It. The main thing is start early so when things go amiss you can come back to these forums and get help. I did..
:)