Light-O-Rama Forums

Let's Focus On The Main Objective

Guest Guest

Guest wbottomley

And you thought it would be something silly... Nope.

Less than six months away (May 22) for those of us turning the lights on during Thanksgiving, what have you completed thus far? Did you know that Leon is 29 days away?

After asking these questions, I decided to go to the shop and work this afternoon. Finishing up two lighted poles, mega-tree structure, and two star bursts. Plus, getting the steel sizes together to make the castle free-standing.

Well, got the Tune To Sign refurbished, bought a 3D star and have the rope light installed. Got the anchor 1.25" pipe in for my first year 17' mega tree. I am ripping off the ican lights on some 4' trees and putting on C6 R,G,W LED light strings.

Got to get super strings put together for mega tree with a cable in the supper string for support (R,G,W). Got to get hardware for the mega tree. Got to get my rump in gear and sequence a couple of songs.

Even shorter for me since I do both Halloween and Christmas. Then even shorter for those folks that do other Holidays like Easter {already gone}, Memorial Day {tomorrow as of this posting}, 4th of July, Labor Day or any other in there I've missed.

I'm still in the process of doing some rewiring to get my display on it's own circuit this year at the new place.

But thus far I do have the 5 duplex electrical outlets in place, GFCI in place, 1 controller mounted outside for some tests, DC-MP3 Showtime Director mounted and connected to controller 1 via Cat5 Cable, speaker wire ran, speakers were mounted on Saturday, but not sure that's where they are going to remain. Got to try one more thing with them before deciding if they stay where they are or get moved. If I move them, I'll have to either extend the speaker wiring or re-route it.

Got my FM transmitter and antenna mounted, audio cable from FM Transmitter to the DC-MP3 Showtime Director outside, as well as the FM radio I use inside that feeds the music to the outdoor speakers in the display area.

And I still have some Christmas sequencing to do and tweak, not to mention still have a few Halloween songs to finish up and last years to re-tweak some more.

I also added lights to my Cemetery tombstones this year by poking some white 41 ct. {43 counting the 2 red eye bulbs} incandescent light strings {taken from old broken plastic ghost forms that couldn't be used} and orange incandescent light strings through the syrofoam, outlining them and some in the R.I.P. area of the stones.

So since the ghost forms are no more had to redo my sequence and change those to Tombstone 1 - 5 and make some changes to the lighting effects and when they are on or any special effect lighting {shimmer, twinkle, etc.}

So I've been trying to get everything done and be ready to start setting up by the 3rd or last week of September for the October 1st through 31st Halloween display.

So yep, I've been keeping somewhat busy, until I need to take a break from it and either check in here or just sit back, relax, have some coffee and watch TV for an hour or two and then get back to it.

EDIT: Almost forgot, I still have to make 2 new TUNE TO signs {1 for Halloween, 1 for Christmas} that will be larger. Won't need to be lit in my case. We have a street light right next to our driveway, so it could light the sign placed on the side of the house nicely. No spotlight needed, no lights in the sign needed. Albeit, the street lamp may detract from the display, can't turn it off, if I could I would during display hours.

Since I'm a newbie and looking forward to my first year display that's controlled, I'm doing everything together. I've got six controllers and sequenced 24 tunes for Christmas. Already owned tons of LED strings which will get used of course. Bought extra mini-trees and created a 32-channel, 15 foot megatree that's ready to go up. Fabricated two 10 foot, 8 channel arches, ready to go. Bought a star and angel for the roof. Bought wire, vampire plugs and steel cable for the megatree. I think it's all covered. I'm not doing RGB or CCR's/CCP's this first controlled year out. I wish to see what comments good or bad from this neighborhood before spending any more.

Max-Paul wrote:

Got to get super strings put together for mega tree with a cable in the supper string for support (R,G,W).

Max-Paul, What are you using for steel cable? And are you going to the SLAM next Saturday? I am so excited!

wbottomley wrote:
Less than six months away (May 22) for those of us turning the lights on during Thanksgiving, what have you completed thus far? Did you know that Leon is 29 days away?

William, What is 'Leon'?

------------------------------------------------

Today I am building more shelves in the basement and am going to re-organize all the stuff that I have had 'help' organizing. ;)

I am also going to add blue to my megatree in the visualizer - then I will be finished setting up the visualizer.... Unless I change something. :shock:

Then work on my first new song. So far, I'm about 1/2 done.

So much to do!!!

Oh - and most importantly.... need to update the banner in my signature from 32 to 64 channels! :)

I've got 10 of 12 new songs sequenced for this year, and have upgraded about a dozen from last year - only about 50 more to upgrade.

The new matrix, version two, will probably get finished today or tomorrow. Then all I need are a couple new controller boxes (which are on the way) for the excellent controllers I got from Jeff, and to get my primary PC back from the shop and I'm ready to fire the matrix up.

Waiting on my order from MITS to build a couple new props and refurbish some mini-trees. Waiting on my order of zip cord to make a few new ext cord bundles. Still figuring out what to do with the CCRs I've scrounged from folks, and trying to decide whether I really need any CCBs if they're ever released.

All-in-all, everything seems to be on or ahead of schedule. So why does saying that worry me???

Hi Lori,

The steel cable I got from H.D. It has a green coating that I hope holds up to the weather. Cable it's self is just a very small. Cant be over 1/16th of an inch. But I am hoping that this will take some of the stress off of the wires in the strings. As for SLAM, no I have a photo shoot scheduled. So, I will miss meeting you this year at the SLAM. But I am sure from the past 2 I have been at. You will have a good time and be sure to bring a small note book. Plenty of good info to be had. Watch out for that geeky Bob O', boy is loaded with good info. And the house is just fabulous for the meet.

LORi P wrote:

wbottomley wrote:

William, What is 'Leon'?

Jesus' half birthday. (NOEL backwards)

Oh My 180 days until the lights turn on its already that close I am no where ready where does the time go

Got all my sleeves wrapped for my new arches (105 sleeves) and for my new light poles(70 sleeves). Started sequencing a few songs need to redo the rest of them for the new props and still haven't figured what to use my four CCR for yet may wait till next year.

Just need to make my structures for the arches and should be good to go prop wise.

I feel like I've gotten a lot done, but I've got LOTS more to go.

So far, I've built a few new props... A 4' x 4' countdown to Christmas sign. http://www.google.com/search?rls=en&q=Lor%20forum%20christmas%20countdown%20sign&hl=en 2 candy cane pinwheels. And almost done with a new donation box. I'll post pics/videos in a week or so. And I've got the old incans off my 24 minis. Ready for the LEDs.

I've built a new antenna for my FM transmitter. I've bought about 10 new controllers. Mod'ed all of them to run on a single input. Got all of my lights ordered. I think they're sitting on my front porch. Along with a bunch of SPT2 and vampires.

But I haven't done any sequencing. I have my layout done and drawn into the visualizer, but haven't done any programming yet, so I feel way behind. I'm planning a week of vaca this summer to dedicate to sequencing, so hopefully, I'll feel bett after that.

I have assembled two of the LOR controllers I purchased, still need to ID both of them so that they both have the right ID numbers.

Have started working on the base for my 12' Mega Tree. Have most of the PVC assembled for that, just need to paint it and then it will go in the attic till setup.

Need to figure out what I am going to do with the power. Last year, I determined I had one outlet on the entire outside of my house, so I had cords running to outlets in the garage (which happened to all be on the same circuit as the plug on the outside). I am determined to get more outlets put in the garage, but it comes down to time and money (both of which I'm in limited supply of right now).

Sequencing has taken a "back seat" for the time being. I have this ambition that I want 20 songs for this year's show, of which I have 2 sequenced so far. I'm shooting to have 10 songs sequenced by the end of July (I think I can do it).

Wow, I can't believe there are 6 months for some of us. I remember just yesterday I was putting in my orders for lights, controllers, and the pre-sale goodies. For the most part, all of those orders have been received, now it's just finding time to get stuff going.

In other words, I think I'm right on schedule. :P

I'm still working on a major remodel for a friend, moved the furnace today, removing hot water heater tomorrow and start installing a tankless water heater. Progress on my display has been slow. My mega-ball tree is near complete. Waiting to get it done and do some testing and sequencing with it before I start working on songs. Next Friday I take my Network + certification test, not looking forward to it and very nervous. Trying to get info stuck in my head that I really don't care about, sucks!

So far I have gotten:
3 1/2 songs sequenced
6 mini trees built (still need garland material, that is next months job)
2 more controllers built
came up with a plan for my soon to be arriving pixels
Need to do:
finish mini trees
get xs mini trees (16 of them)
revamp wreath
sequence.. sequence... sequence..

So far I am moving along well. Four new 30 amp outlets installed, three new controllers built and Maggie Tree's have been built. Two new song ready to go but I have to two more being programmed. Need to added new channnels to the old sequences and apply end to new network cables. Guess I need to go ahead and buy the 6 new controllers before the sale goes off on the 8th.