Light-O-Rama Forums

DIO32 Board Questions

cmurray

Good Evening,

I have been looking at getting a DIO32 board to add to my display. I would like to add some interactive features this year to allow guests to pick the next song in the show and control certain elements.

Is this something that sounds like it would be capable with the DIO32 card and S3 software. From everything I have read I would need the a DIO32 main board and then a ribbon cable to a terminal board then I could wire in pushbuttons as inputs. Also from what I can see this setup would also require an advanced copy or S3 software. I have previously used Auroa and LightShowPro so I have no experience with the LOR software.

Does this sound possible to some of the LOR verterns.

Thanks for any advice in advance,

CMurray

Yes you could use the DIO32 card with up to 32 inputs so that users could select up to 32 songs (more if you added another card)... There is a section in the Show Editor called the Interactive Section... In there you would add a Jukebox where inputs would trigger sequences.

Before you grab the DIO32, make note that there are a few new cards coming out soon. We have the ServoDog but we will soon be adding the Puppy cards (smaller more compact) including the ServoPup and the InputPup ... The InputPup will be a much less expensive way to get your inputs.

Dan

Hey Cmurry! Welcome to the madness!
Your first post earned you a response from Mr LOR himself!

And it brought out MORE leaks on upcoming new products! Thank you both!

Thanks Dan and ItsMeBobO,

I really appreciate the help and insite. As far as the software goes that sounds perfect exactly like I need and will work perfect so I will be sure to add an advanced copy LOR S3 to my list for this year.

As far as the controllers go will the inputpup just be an input card that gets put in the network and will not require a DIO32 mainboard like the servo dog controller currently avaible? Also is there any kind of timeline on these new boards coming out because they sound like the best solution for me.

Thanks again for the help it is greatly appreciated,

CMurray

Christmas In The Cold

Alberta Canada

LightORamaDan wrote:

Yes you could use the DIO32 card with up to 32 inputs so that users could select up to 32 songs (more if you added another card)... There is a section in the Show Editor called the Interactive Section... In there you would add a Jukebox where inputs would trigger sequences.

Am I reading this thread correctly, where I can use my DIO card as an INPUT TRIGGER device? I thought this was a type of controller that only allows "OUTPUT" per say. Are there any help files or wiki's floating around about the DIO"s in using them in this matter?

Thanks, Chuck

OH, and thanks for another "CLUE" into the future of some boards, inputPup sounds like fun

cmurray and all,

From 2006 through 2010, I used a couple methods to control our LOR shows...power-on of the DC-MP3, Connection Header on the DC-MP3, then a handful of CTB16 Input Connectors with computer control. Suffice to say, the DIO32/(2)DIO16IOD was the answer to my wishes...(32) glorious inputs.

Besides the DIO32/(2)DIO16IOD, I also use an ELL to allow my case/switches to be mobile, a 12vdc battery that powers the entire setup, a volt meter, all-weather RJ45 port, and a charging port that easily allows me to keep the battery charged when not walking around.

The interactive shows took a bit of getting used to, but nothing a bit of testing ahead of time couldn't resolve. In 2011, I had my usual Grand Lighting Celebration with 70 of my closest family and friends...with the entire show being systematically controlled through 7 of the 32 switches. Once I got all the blinky blinky out of the way for everyone, many of the other switches were dedicated to various daily shows and other test sequences. I can make every bulb light up with the flick of a switch, then turn them off just as easily...all from the comfort of my front yard with no interaction with a keyboard, computer/monitor, etc.

The wiring diagram in the manual does not do a very good job explaining how to use switches with the DIO32/(2)DIO16IOD, but LOR tech support got me on the correct track explaining I needed some pull-down resistors. Dan mentioned that the new InputPup was coming...I hope it makes the wiring/connections a bit more pleasant to complete when someone just wants to use switches.

I attached a zip file that contains two images of my mobile case...my wife and I nicknamed it "The Bomb" given all the wiring contained inside.

I hope this information helps...

Michael

Attached files Zlatic DIO32.zip

Michael R. Zlatic wrote:

Dan mentioned that the new InputPup was coming...I hope it makes the wiring/connections a bit more pleasant to complete when someone just wants to use switches.

The InputPup is a small board which daisy chains into the network like any other controller. If it's close (about 50') to a controller that supplies accessory power, it will use that power, otherwise it has screw terminals for 9v dc input. It has screw terminals for 8 normally open switches (common ground.) These switches turn on the LED in an opto-isolator when closed. We did it this way because direct input to a microprocessor pin can be glitchy, especially if the wires to the switch are not short. This little board should make having interactive stations a lot easier.

Ok Dan, spill the beans on the new products coming out ;) ;) :) :)

Some of us just can't help ourselves :shock:

DLTSLC wrote:

Ok Dan, spill the beans on the new products coming out ;) ;) :) :)

Some of us just can't help ourselves :shock:

There are some new products coming out but we will hold back on details until fairly close to the release dates.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Dan, a new product idea.. 32(or more)servo controller .. like this.. something thats directly S2/S3 addressable..

http://www.lynxmotion.com/p-395-ssc-32-servo-controller.aspx

please, oh please oh, please please please?? =)

It looks neat but I wonder about the number of applications for that many servos in one place vs a number of smaller cards where you can spread things out more. 32 servos in one thing seems like a lot to me so I had not really considered that such a card would be much of a seller and ever pay back the costs of development. (perhaps I am wrong) :P

• 3 weeks later...

I guess it isnt that there are 32 (or more) servos in one prop, it's that there's jus' a mess o' servos (at least 64 in my case) altogether.. there's 36 servos in these 9 guys right here, with 7 more skulls (& 28 servos) out of the picture frame.. Sixteen Cat5 runs go from two controllers to 64 servos.

I'm probably the only one on here building this many too.. :blink:

Dan (or anyone using the DIO)

I read thru the analog vs digital thread re: servo limits, with the DIO, but didnt see this question:

Can hard, permanent servo range limits be set/burned(flashed) into the controller if in the even a "too far" command is sent, it wont go past the "absolute" range set by the HU?

I read in the manual that the "range" is 0% (full left), 50% (centered) and 100% (full right), but if the left / right "breakage" limits are.. 33% to 78%, can that be permanently flashed so as never to exceed them?

Edited by TJ Hvasta