Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR and Enttech Pro

rmturner54

Members

132 posts

Posted Today, 01:50 AM

I did a lot of reading and researach before I dove into DMX. I do have some RGB items already in my display. I built 4 north pole lights a couple of years ago, they turned out really wll in the display. SO I took that opportunity to start using DMX on a small scale and converted the globe light to DMX. Originally it was a single incandescant bulb. I took ideas from several sources. I am using the 3 channel DMX module/decoder that David Moore uses. I decided to not go with cat 5 cable or connections through out the build. I wanted something more waterproof so I came across the waterproof connectors that Lightuplawrence uses. I am using cheap 4 cond 18awg cable from monoprice.com. The follwing is a lsit of parts I used and their source.

12V waterproof power supply, 3 channel DMX modules, rgb led modules, along with the software to set the DMX module addresses. This was really nice to be able reset the addresses as required. All from David. Along with the power injection idea.

Waterproof 4 cond male and female connectors from RaWu at alliexpress.
The idea to use them from lightuplawrence.

Enttec Pro DMX dongle from none other than E-bay.

4 cond 18 awg speaker cable from monoprice.

It took a fair amount of soldering, heat shrink and liquid tape. Nelow are some basic pictures of the finished product. The DMX modules are down inside each pole. After running all 4 of them thru the default power on setting just for testing purposes, I am going to have to paint the wood that the LED's are attached to white. A dark vertical line can been seen inside the globe.
Hope this help someone else with ideas for their next project.

Richard

Attached files 317626=17319-DSCN0228.JPG

3rd picture.
So far testing has gone very well, one minor wiring error. But once that was corrected I was able to run all 4 NP lights thru some testing using D-Lights for several hours. Now I am on to testing with LOR and the Enttec Pro dongle.

Attached files 317628=17321-DSCN0231.JPG

Here is a 1 minute sequence written and played with LOR. The Flip Share video camera does not do the colors justice.

Thanks glad you liked it. I hope this helps others as all the info passed around has helped me over the years.

rmturner54 wrote:

Here is a drawing of my wiring and hookup. Feel free to use as you need.

Thanks for the drawing. I have wanted to use these waterproof connectors, too, but wasn't sure how to hook them up.
How did you connect the 4 core wire to the XLR connector on the EntecPro?
Thanks again.

Correction no liq tape on xlr connector[align=center][/align][align=right][/aligxE cF cFn]

Correction no liq tape on xlr connector[align=center][/align][align=right][/aligxE cF cFn]

rmturner54 wrote:

Just to make sure I understand...you opened up the XLR connector and soldered the wires directly?

thanks again.

Thanks.....truth be known I probably stole the idea from several people myself. Well, maybe borrowed.:D

• The topic was locked