Light-O-Rama Forums

Controlling a train with lor

Don In Kenner-LA

LightORamaDan wrote:

Those train transformers are very inductive and can be some pretty big transformers.

Thanks for the reply Dan. Like stated, I wasn't sure about that, I know my main G Gauge power pack is an 100 amp powerhouse for multiple train use, but the standard packs that come with a single train set are very limited, maybe 1 to 2 amps, so I wasn't sure how inductive they would be.

I have used the lower amperage power pack off an LOR CTB16PC and never had any issues in 2010 and 2011 that I controlled the one Christmas themed train, but after reading your response, I think I'll just relagate the around the tree interior train display to it's own electronic timer! I sure don't need to blow up any controllers!

Orville wrote:

LightORamaDan wrote:
Those train transformers are very inductive and can be some pretty big transformers.

Thanks for the reply Dan.   Like stated, I wasn't sure about that, I know my main G Gauge power pack is an 100 amp powerhouse for multiple train use, but the standard packs that come with a single train set are very limited, maybe 1 to 2 amps, so I wasn't sure how inductive they would be.

I have used the lower amperage power pack off an LOR CTB16PC and never had any issues in 2010 and 2011 that I controlled the one Christmas themed train, but after reading your response, I think I'll just relagate the around the tree interior train display to it's own electronic timer!  I sure don't need to blow up any controllers!

The LOR controllers use snubberless triacs that allow for an inductive load (up to a point!)... In general if it worked okay in the past I would not be concerned. It is just that I have seen motors over heat and die that were run from the controllers. I have run Christmas reindeer motors for months straight on the controllers with no issue... It just depends, but in general if the load does not hum louder or get hotter when run from the controller it should be okay.

LightORamaDan wrote:

Orville wrote:
LightORamaDan wrote:

Thanks for the reply Dan. Like stated, I wasn't sure about that, I know my main G Gauge power pack is an 100 amp powerhouse for multiple train use, but the standard packs that come with a single train set are very limited, maybe 1 to 2 amps, so I wasn't sure how inductive they would be.

I have used the lower amperage power pack off an LOR CTB16PC and never had any issues in 2010 and 2011 that I controlled the one Christmas themed train, but after reading your response, I think I'll just relagate the around the tree interior train display to it's own electronic timer! I sure don't need to blow up any controllers!

The LOR controllers use snubberless triacs that allow for an inductive load (up to a point!)... In general if it worked okay in the past I would not be concerned. It is just that I have seen motors over heat and die that were run from the controllers. I have run Christmas reindeer motors for months straight on the controllers with no issue... It just depends, but in general if the load does not hum louder or get hotter when run from the controller it should be okay.

Okay, cool. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't going to cause any damage over the long term of things by doing this.

You've definitely set my mind at ease with your latest response.:cool:

Thank you!;)

I control several Lionel O guage trains on my indoor "Disneyland" layout using LOR. I don't change their speeds, just use a LOR channel to turn the powerpacks on or off. No issues now in the third year of this setup.

http://youtu.be/BPAmaDtbnKk

don731 wrote:

I control several Lionel O guage trains on my indoor "Disneyland" layout using LOR. I don't change their speeds, just use a LOR channel to turn the powerpacks on or off. No issues now in the third year of this setup.

http://youtu.be/BPAmaDtbnKk

That's cool Don! I wasn't too sure about the O gauge power packs, glad to hear someone has actually done this.

Now I may have to set up a channel for my O gauge layout as well!:D

Don,
that is an awesome use of LOR.

I am a train nut myself, and love the job you did with this.

Thanks Paul! I'm working on a new summer show based on a combo of DL's World of Color and Fantasmic! Hoping to add a CCR for shooting star effects this year. I sequence on a Macbook Air using Parallels for Windows and an old version of XP. A small cheap netbook with Windows 7 actually runs the show. The youtube video is pretty old, and in the meantime I've added green and red lasers, dancing waters (just repurposed self contained LED Watershow speakers from Spencers), etc. I probably will need another 16 channels this year!

Cheers,
Don in Chicagoland

Don,
I would love to see some photos/videos when you get your summer show done!