Light-O-Rama Forums

new visualizer not in S3?

Greg.Ca

I have been told that in order to use the new better looking visualizer, then I must download 'Superstar" which is an additional $45.00? I don't presently have a need for the Superstar package as I don't use CCR's but nonetheless, If I want to use the new visulizer I must download Superstar? Any way around this?? Am I missing something? --Greg--

No...I don't believe you need Superstar for the Visualizer...where did you hear that?

I believe there might have been some enhancements to Superstar that might help it in the visualizer though, as documented in this thread:

http://forums.lightorama.com/forum55/33131.html

Wow, just a minute for a response.

My son who programs our show tells me that this is true. He called LOR and told them he had trouble opening the visualizer. LOR's response was that because he didn't pay for it??

I called a hour ago and LOR told me the same thing?? We upgraded from S2 to S3 several months ago and paid about $25.00 (approx) and now able to use S3 but my son tells me that the new visualizer is not available?? Not sure what to think.

Is the new visualizer with better graphics included when upgrading from S2 to S3?

Well...I guess I am wrong...I thought it came with S3...but then again, I bought Superstar with my S3...

or what exactly do you mean when you say "new visualizer"?

is there an "old" visualizer?

Greg.Ca wrote:

Wow, just a minute for a response.

My son who programs our show tells me that this is true. He called LOR and told them he had trouble opening the visualizer. LOR's response was that because he didn't pay for it??

I called a hour ago and LOR told me the same thing?? We upgraded from S2 to S3 several months ago and paid about $25.00 (approx) and now able to use S3 but my son tells me that the new visualizer is not available?? Not sure what to think.

Is the new visualizer with better graphics included when upgrading from S2 to S3?

Depending on what your license is, you may run into *some* issues using the visualizer. However, if you have an Advanced license you won't run into any issues. (I don't know of any license restrictions that would keep you from even being able to open it.)

And yes, the visualizer in included in S3, all license levels.

Greg.Ca wrote:

but my son tells me that the new visualizer is not available?? Not sure what to think.
is it that you are not finding it?

I don't have my computer here, but I don't think it is listed with all the other things, like the Sequence Editor...

If I remember correctly (I open mine from my desktop, so I have forgotten)but you may have to open it from the LOR folder...

Please excuse my ignorance as my son does all of our LOR programming. Last year we used LOR (first year) quite successfully with over 256 channels. This year we hope to have over 400. We used S2 last year and there was a ‘archiac’ visualizer that looked ‘similar’ to what our show was doing. It certainly did not look like our home dancing to the lights.

The main reason I upgraded to S3 was to use this better ‘looking’ visualizer so that our show on the ‘screen’ would look closer to what our home looks like.

So I have to answer ‘yes’ there is a old S2 visualizer and apparently, there is a better S3 visualizer. Correct?? --Greg--

Greg.Ca wrote:

So I have to answer ‘yes’ there is a old S2 visualizer and apparently, there is a better S3 visualizer. Correct?? --Greg--
LOL..I believe S2 called it an "Animator" and S3 calls it a "Visualizer"...

so yes, it is a better "Animator"/ "Visualizer"... :)

did you see my "edit" in my previous response

For what it's worth, in S2 (and S3) there is an "animation" window that can only be used within the Sequence Editor. This has been around from the early days of the LOR software.

In S3 there is a separate, stand-alone program called the Visualizer.

Look in your Light-O-Rama folder (in your Start menu). You should see the visualizer there.

Jeff Millard wrote:

Just to be clear, a Superstar License is NOT required for you to use the S3 Visualizer. I have an Advanced S3 License and NO Superstar License and I use the Visualizer daily.

Jeff

same here,I think you are not looking in the right place, as stated it is a stand alone program.

You can't open the visualizer from the sequencer, only the animator can be opened from within the sequencer. The visualizer is a stand alone program that must be started along with the sequence editor.

Search you HDD for LORVisualizer.

I'm going to reiterate what many of the people have said already, just to make it official:

1 - The Visualizer is part of the suite at ANY level, including Demo.

2 - The Visualizer is a separate program within the suite. You must launch it manually from either the program group, or the tray icon.

3 - The Visualizer should not be confused with the Animator. The Animator is the existing tool that has been part of the suite since S1. The Visualizer is new for S3.

4 - BOTH the Animator and the Visualizer are available in S3. You can use either or both.

5 - While there are limits on what the Visualizer will allow you to control based on License Level, all of the Visualizer's tools are available at all levels. (http://www.lightorama.com/help/limits.htm)

6 - Superstar, which is an OPTIONAL additional cost option, has the ability to import a Visualization. Importing a Visualization into Superstar gives it a better 'clue' as to what your stage looks like so that it can create better looking sequences. You do NOT have to own Superstar to use the Visualizer, nor do you have to use the Visualizer to use Superstar.
---
Greg.CA: Please send me a PM with the name of the person whom you talked to so I can get everyone on the same page. Thanks!

As everyone has stated, the visualizer is part of the S3 core and is not part of Super Star. It is used by Super Star in some cases.

We will make sure that everyone that answers phones at LOR understands this. Sorry for the confusion.

Dan

One thing about the Visualizer is you can't output to it with more channels than your license has.

Well almost, there in a workaround. If you leave out all network, controller and channel numbers from your file and do the same within visualizer then you can have hundreds of lights. Once your show is ready and you've purchased the correct license you can put all of those channel assignments back it.

Jeff Millard wrote:

Just to be clear, a Superstar License is NOT required for you to use the S3 Visualizer. I have an Advanced S3 License and NO Superstar License and I use the Visualizer daily.

Jeff

Ditto

I love the S3 Visualizer. It provides me with a great tool for programming. I laid out the controllers on the floor in my house and ran light strings to most of the connections, then compared the visualizer to the lights actually functioning. It was the same! Therefore, the visualizer is a very powerful tool for all of us to use and Thank You LOR!