Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Sequence Editor v 3.2.0 ERROR MSG - HELP!

Denise Nelson

Today when attempting to turn on my Sequence Editor Advanced (v 3.2.0), I got the following messages:

1. LOR Sequence Editor (box): vba1DTab6 Run Time error 440. When I "X"d out, the following occurred:

2. LOR Sequence Editor (box): Automation error. vbalExplorerBarLib run time error "0".

3. LOR Sequence Editor (box): Failed to load control vbalEplorereBarCTL from vbalepBar6.ocx. Version of vbalEspBar6.ocx. Version of vbalEspBar6.ocs may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application.

I first went to the troubleshooting area of this forum and downloaded the new version 3.3.0. And it worked! The Sequence Editor came back up and running.

What I want to do is make sure that by updating to the 3.3.0 version fixed the problem. Please advise me if this was the correct way to do it, or if there is another problem that I may not be aware of that may cause this issue to re-occur.

(and yes, I have backed up my sequences prior to this so when something like this happens, I'm covered.)

Please help me understand what the error msg was trying to tell me...

Thanks in advance!

To me, that sounds like one of the libraries S3 uses was some how corrupted, something installed an old version of one, or general flakiness.

Upgrading fixed the issue by replacing the bad library with a good one.

You should be all set now.

DevMike wrote:

To me, that sounds like one of the libraries S3 uses was some how corrupted, something installed an old version of one, or general flakiness.

Upgrading fixed the issue by replacing the bad library with a good one.

You should be all set now.

Thank you so much! I hate when "flakiness" happens!

• 2 months later...

I am having this same problem that Denise had. I am running the 3.4.0 version in Win 7. The Visulazier comes up fine. Should I reinstall the program. Don't want to loose all my settings and folders if I do reinstall. What to do there?

Thanks,

Robert

Yes, you should reinstall.

Your files will remain, and unless there is corruption your settings will too.

In the Windows programming world, we share things called 'Controls'. Some controls are part of Windows itself (like 'Button'), and others come in separate files (like VBExplorerBar). You may have heard about .dll, .ctl, .ocx, or various other extensions. Those can contain controls that are shared among programs. IE, program X and program Y by 2 completely different people could use a control. Your computer only needs 1 copy of the control and both programs can find it.

When you get an error like this, what has usually happened is that you (or Microsoft Update) installed a new program that uses one of the same controls that S3 uses. Well behaved programs (like S3), will look at the version of a control and decide if they should update it or not. If the control bundled with a program is newer than what is installed, it updates, otherwise it is skipped.

Some badly behaved programs on the other hand just update with whatever they have in their bundle. If that control is too old, or contains bugs, whammo -> the error you see above.

Re-installing S3 fixes the problem because we create builds (bundles) pretty frequently, and we always ensure we have the most up-to-date controls available. When the install runs it looks at those bad controls and finds that the ones in the bundle are newer. It then replaces them and everything starts working again.