Light-O-Rama Forums

E1.31

Discotech24

I am just getting into the DMX side of this stuff and am quickly getting too deep into my equipment requirements. Need some clarification. When LOR incorporates E1.31 how will we connect it to our existing network. I currently have a 16 channel controller and am adding 2 DMX controllers with a 160 pixel strip on each, i just ordered a string of pixel modules from Ray and I realize I am going to need to add another DMX controller, so I was looking into E1.31. Is it possible to use my original controller as a dimmer pack essentially on the LOR network and send the DMX protocol through the controller to my DMX controllers? I currently have 2 LOR dongles and an Enttec USB Pro.Or am I going to need a DMX bridge to hook up the 3 controllers without purchasing a dongle for each universe. Am I understanding this correctly? If not, a little clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I don't really think anyone know how we will hook up to the lor except them right now. Bbut I am sure we will have to get some type of add on.

E1.31 normally connects to your network adapter or switch, hopefully it will do the same when it is supported by S3.

That would be sweet....lets hope it does...i have a spare 5 port switch from my home network.

Basically when LOR integrates E1.31 (if they do this year) you will basically need to run two different networks...an LOR network and an E1.31 (DMX) network. Now I have no idea what LOR has in store for an E1.31 based setup but I can explain how things that are currently on the market work.

Basically with E1.31 you can do a few things. You can go from some sort of E1.31 generating dongle to an E1.31 reading device. One major draw back of E1.31 is that there are not many devices in the industry that accept raw E1.31. There are a few out there in the holiday lighting world but there aren't many in the theater world. So you basically need to run your E1.31 from a dongle to a device that interrupts E1.31 and turns it into DMX networks. Those can than be plugged into your DMX devices. This is something that the majority of enthusiasts will do to get 4 DMX networks through one basic cable and than split them out into the 4 networks.

Another option is to obviously incorporate your home network into the system as well. While I personally don't believe this will be huge (at least this year) in the sense of what we will use it for, it can be done. A nice thing about incorporating it into your home network is eventually you could access your display from the internet all around the world.

Greg

Yes Jeff I understand that and know that. However, you can no just plug an E1.31 device into a standard DMX device. That is what I was trying to get across.

Guest guest

The fix, at the moment, is, the ELOR, and use sandevices controllers, or j1sys. I can recommend the former, as I have plenty of them sitting on the bench perking away.

If you want to do pure E131, and eliminate the ELOR option, then you need to go a non-LOR route...or, roll the dice on what LOR presents as an E131 option as being something you can work with.

Myself?..going LSP, and sandevices. Last year showed me that rolling the dice on LOR delivering on time is not the best bet.

That isn't the only fix. I would HIGHLY recommend that ELOR + the E1.31 Bridge from RPM. They play extremely well together and create 4 DMX networks. So, you can get either 4 DMX universes or connect directly to an E1.31 device. It works great and connects right into an LOR network...at least until LOR gets wind of it...:P

could you send me links to the sites where i can get those items? thanks

Discotech24 wrote:

could you send me links to the sites where i can get those items? thanks

You can find out about the ELOR and the E68X at http://www.sandevices.com/products.html

You can also use the ECG-P12R with the ELOR. Info on the ECG-P12R is at http://www.joshua1systems.com/ecg-p12r/

I have the ELOR bridges as well as the E681 and ECG-P12R. They all work fine together in LOR.

Guest guest

Ponddude wrote:

That isn't the only fix. I would HIGHLY recommend that ELOR + the E1.31 Bridge from RPM. They play extremely well together and create 4 DMX networks. So, you can get either 4 DMX universes or connect directly to an E1.31 device. It works great and connects right into an LOR network...at least until LOR gets wind of it...:P

Definitely agree re the versatility of the ELOR. In fact, mine is currently running a 681 board and pixels, and there's this Rainbow Flood Extreme hanging off of the ELOR dmx port also..:cool: .

I have gone as far as to buy one of the blank RPM boards, but haven't built it yet; still sorting out what the final config will look like and whether that board becomes a LSP based iDMX.

My overall point was, if you want to do it (it=E.131) right now, you need to be willing to look outside the LOR suite of products for solutions.

another option is to use xlights.
You can convert the LOR sequences to xlights sequences and run it that way. You can then set up the networks in xlights to control E1.31, DMX dongles, Renard networks, or LOR networks.

• The topic was locked