Light-O-Rama Forums

Setting up Enttec Open USB and Tutorial on Programming RGB

NorthwestBrendan

I spent a lot of time initially doing research on DMX, affordable options, and finally a lot of time to get it all to work. I wanted to share my work with others who want to do the same, so I have started making some youtube videos to help make that possible.

I also demonstrate some methods for programming RGB channels using LOR S3 Advanced. Nothing Christmas yet, but I am working on some side projects and have 4 videos posted from last year on my YouTube Channel.

Hopefully everyone can find my videos helpful for first time setups.

I setup DMX to my LOR software using the Enttec Open DMX USB, which runs about 60-70$. I connected it to a 27 channel (9 RGB channels) controller, and plugged in a waterproof RGB LED strip, which I cut into 9 pieces, that I had purchased off of Amazon.

Other pieces that I used were an AC/DC power supply (350w), and some 4 wire male/female waterproof plug adapters.

[How to set up Enttec Open DMX USB for LOR][http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BbYsPzyTQU]

[Tutorial - Programming LOR RGB - Timings and Grids][http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJCxR_EbEpg]

[Tutorial - Programming RGB LOR - Special Effects][http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6qtPngZCis]

[short Skrillex Preview (some is muted)][http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feZUYK6VeME]

The RGB channels just get added to the system. You can run LOR controller boxes, multiple DMX universes, and much more simultaneously.

And if you want to use all the channels for non RGB LEDs, that is just fine. You will have 3 times the channels available that way. However, I would be careful to make sure you have equipment that can handle your power needs. Just using 9 16ft strips with the equipment I set up here will be pushing beyond the rated power limits. I wouldn't be able to run 27 full length strips. Just keep you power needs in mind when building your setup.

• 5 months later...

Brendan, I recently purchased an Enntec open and watched your video on how to set it up. It was very helpful. I believe everything is set up correctly in the computer, but when i plug in my RGB par cans i get nothing. Any thoughts? i bought the Par Cans a few years ago from Cheap lights. They are called STUDS made by Stage ape and are seven DMX channels each. I'm not sure if they are addressed incorrectly. They do work however on my manual DMX slider controller.

I've been experimenting with DMX lately and also have a couple of cheap RGB Par38's that are 4ch. Strob rate / Blue / green / Red.. I found that I can't just turn on a color channel in LOR, I have to also turn on the strobe channel to get the light to turn on...not sure why, but maybe you've got the same thing going on......

Another thing to check for (I had the Same problem) is that the LOR control panel is started / loaded. If it's not the listener program won't start and DMX won't work properly.

Another thing to check for (I had the Same problem) is that the LOR control panel is started / loaded. If it's not the listener program won't start and DMX won't work properly.

What are you using for a dongle and what version of LOR?

• 3 weeks later...

i have this eccact setup becouse of youre movie on youtube so i have the enttec open usb and i have the 9 channel rgb dmx board

but i cant get it working

installed the driver and did everything you say if i open light o rama control panel it will find the enttec like this

708:dmx1 [info] a901cwe2 : dmx usb pro adapter open

it doesend blink the light on the rgb board no response to anything

i have the swich set only 1 so it should be in univirse 1

if i try last dipswich it wil start turning on and of the lights in differend coulors so that works but not with lor

plz help

• 3 weeks later...

Brendan,

I'm doing the same setup but with a D-Splitter from Enttec as I'm planning on 2 DMX boards the same as yours. My problem is having S3 (latest) control the RGB's, Cosmic Color Ribbons and my normal lights connected to 16 channel controllers.

Any suggestions?

Any help would be appreciated.

PS. great videos

• 3 weeks later...

If your running the LOR boards in DMX mode, they become a dumb dimmer and only react to DMX commands, not LOR protcol.

• The topic was locked