Light-O-Rama Forums

Do I need more than 1 Universe?

marsh28

I am just starting to test some rainbow floods using the enttec pro and everything seems okay. However, for my show I plan on using 5 rainbow floods in addition to 6 high-powered 36W RGB stage lights. Will I need to run the rainbow floods on one universe and the 36 W RGB stage lights on another and get another Enttec Pro or can I run both sets of lights through one Enttec? If running together on a single universe, I assume I'd need to get a splitter? Thanks

Nope. Everything you described can be done all in one Universe. The only reason for a Splitter, would be to accomodate legs that are not condusive to a serial connection.

Yeah, I figured that out this weekend. For what its worth, I'm using the Enttec Open right now for testing purposes and its performed flawlessly. I was thinking about upgrading to the Enttec Pro but now I'm not really sure if I'll need it. Man, if you're willing to do the research and a little soldering, DMX is a cheap solution for RGB sequencing.

marsh28 wrote:

Man, if you're willing to do the research and a little soldering, DMX is a cheap solution for RGB sequencing.

Very true.

A single universe will never have a problem with an ENTTEC Open. Don't bother upgrading to the Pro. If (when) you need more universes, then you can go straight to E1.31 and usually get 4 universes per dongle.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using all DMX with my show and have the iDMX box, which if I'm looking at it correctly, it supports 112 channels? My issue is, this year I will be using between 121 and 135 channels, as I am upgrading from 1 singing face to 3, plus some RGB strips. I only had 94 channels last year.
Do I need something else for these added channels? Hopefully not another iDMX...those are expensive!!
I have the Advanced version of S3.3

Doc,

If you have the iDMX make sure it is up to date with the latest firmware. If the ID is still factory default E0, then you have been in LOR Legacy mode and you had 256 channels of DMX. If you are on the latest, rename your iDMX to something other than ending in 0 (zero), like 1, 11, A1 anything besides 0 and you will have all 512 available to you.

You still have the 128 iChan limit. (Intelligent channels) so you cannot have more than this fading or doing something other than on/off.

My channels are labeled "iDMX 01.001" all the way to "iDMX 01.112". How do I get more channels added to that? I've looked all over and cannot seem to figure that out.
Also, with the 128 iChan limit, is the only way around that to get another iDMX unit? Or would the dongle I have been hearing about be a good thing? I couldn't find the DMX dongle in the LOR store.

The channels are labled iDMX 01.xxx. What is the ID of the iDMX? I assume 01. If that is the case you just add channels just like you would for any controller. You will have 512 to choose from.

Yes more iChans is another iDMX, or see what the outcome of LOR supporting E1.31 which should be this summer.

Currently the LOR DMX Dongle is either another iDMX or get the thier USB485 and configure it for DMX output. ANother option is a DIY DMX dongle like Lynx, or go to a Enttec Open or Pro.

It is the iDMX that has the limiation of the 128 iChans. Everything else is native DMX output and will rely on either the computer, or the DMX Dongle in the case of the Enttec Pro to do that conversion.

• The topic was locked